Raccoon got my Broody Opal!

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
:\\Users\\mom\\Desktop\\chicken pics\\Photo-0069.jpg This is my Opal, OrpingtonxCochin 2 yrs old and a great layer and first time mommy to be cut down by a Raccoon last night!The fight is ON!!!!!
Tomarrow I will be heading to the feed store to get a trap and not sure what how Im going to handle the situation but I garantee that it won't kill another of my chicken!! At firs
20212_photo-0069.jpg
t I was bawly and depressed now I'm just plain ticked!
somad.gif

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your lose
hugs.gif
Live traps for Coons work well available at farm & fleet type stores. They really like Tuna, canned cat food etc but, lock up your pets so, you don't catch the wrong animal. I wouldn't assume you have just one so, keep setting trap nightly. Good Luck
fl.gif

I got one of em and here she is I caught her with peanut butter and Jelly Sandwiches https://www.backyardchickens.com/fo...s.com/forum/uploads/20212_photo-0136.jpg[/img]
20212_photo-0137.jpg

Unfortunately last night as I sat out in the car with the lights on here come a big ole boy and since I only had one cage I didn't have one set up for it so I just locked the girls up tight and chased him off for the night . IM going to have to go get a spare cage now just in case!
20212_photo-0136.jpg

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your loss. i recommend you catch and dispose of the critters, if you relocate them they only become someone elses problem. i know as well as you it is hard to raise animals just to let other pest come and kill them, not to mention it gets expensive fast. good luck and happy hunting

Well first one disposed of, second one hopefully will be in the trap tonight! The female I caught the other night was a nursing female so I feel bad but I couldn't let her go , and didn't know where to find her babies, but maybe its better this way than them growing up around here and getting shot. The male (I'm assuming male) because It was huge about 3 or 4 times her size. Hope he fits in the trap. It looked like a flippin' mini bear coming up over the hill in the back yard, I had no Idea that they could even get that big! Well let ya all know if I catch another. Im sure I will , I have noticed that they don't normally come to get in my coop til around 2am, why he was here last night around 9:30 pm is kinda a mystery, maybe he got drawn out because of the female in the trap????? Hmm .

Back
Top Bottom