Raccoon-proof fencing wire?

Dutchgirl

Not Dutch!
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A.
What size cage/fencing wire can raccoons not crawl through? This would be for the top/ceiling of a run, so there wouldn't be the concern of raccoons reaching through - just getting in.

I had one as a pet, when we were kids. They can't get through small openings, like rats and weasels. Probably couldn't get through a 3" square. No way can they get through a 2" square. That being said, they can unlock most latches and will probable figure out your door knobs. Our used to flip up the toilet seat and use the bathroom. Iinconsiderate pest never learned to flush.

Last edited:
You could make the roof out of electric fence netting. The raccoon couldn't touch it long enough to climb through it!
Set up a video camera - would be a hoot to watch him dance!

I used 1 inch dog fencing on my coop....

It also has a metal roof, it's completely predator proof. It's been a full year now and never had anything get in.
usa7etu4.jpg

buhyzeme.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 x 4 welded wire is more than sufficient. Don't worry about coons reaching through and grabbing your chickens unless you plan on leaving your chickens out at night. Coons are nocturnal. See one during the day; get a gun; it's sick most likely.

MoonShadows, thank you, but the raccoons reaching through is actually a problem. Our run doubles as a coop, so we don't normally have our chickens in a separate coop at night. And more than once, a raccoon has scared chickens down from their roosts and has caught them when they get too close to the wall of the coop/run.

MoonShadows, thank you, but the raccoons reaching through is actually a problem. Our run doubles as a coop, so we don't normally have our chickens in a separate coop at night. And more than once, a raccoon has scared chickens down from their roosts and has caught them when they get too close to the wall of the coop/run.
In that case I'd go with hardware cloth.

I have had both owls and hawks pull my chickens through the welded wire I have - 2 x 4 inch.

1/2 inch is what you need to keep out rats and weasels, if that is the goal as well.

I had one as a pet, when we were kids. They can't get through small openings, like rats and weasels. Probably couldn't get through a 3" square. No way can they get through a 2" square. That being said, they can unlock most latches and will probable figure out your door knobs. Our used to flip up the toilet seat and use the bathroom. Iinconsiderate pest never learned to flush.
LOL I have heard that the only way to keep coons out is a combination lock (this is just a joke, just so you know).

They are smart.

Last edited:
LOL I have heard that the only way to keep coons out is a combination lock (this is just a joke, just so you know).

They are smart.

She could open any cabinet latch, or, screen door hook. The only thing that slowed her down, were twist ties. She knew how they worked, but didn't know when to stop untwisting them and would twist them back tight again. She would eventually give up and find something else to get into. Mom used to put twist ties on all the kitchen cabinet doors.

Back
Top Bottom