Raccoons? I have a situation!!

Well the fox is not proving to be easy to catch, but it keeps coming back religiously, it has been snowing a little each night so it makes it easy to see it's tracks, it's just a matter of time (hopefully). it was just a couple of inches away from getting caught last night. He/she is definately smart or extremely cautious. Probably both.

Thanks Becky for the live trap instructions I think I might just have to build one.

Thanks, Dean

I'm so very sorry for this sad loss. It's hard thinking what our feathered friends go through at such times. May I ask - did the fox get inside your coop at night? or were the chickens still outdoors in a penned area and he got them in daylight?

It got in there at night, and it was my fault because I didn't shut the door. I made the coop and run completely predator proof, I had been letting them out of there run and into the garden so they could scratch around and do there dust bath thing (when the snow was melted), and I got to comfortable leaving the door open at night. And payed the price. Or I guess the hens payed the price.

We've all done stupid things like this. It doesn't do any good to beat yourself up about it...You live and learn. When Tom was killed, I didn't put the other part of the litter pan back in the cage, because I was lazy. Mr Raccoon took the aluminum pan, bent it down and killed Tom when she tumbled out. Jerry got away because he could fly better than she could. This was at night also.

Hate raccoons, possums and skunks. We dont have weasels here, but Im sure that I hate them, too. LOL

chel

Sorry to hear of your loss. So far the foxes are staying clear of my girls, though I know we have them around the property.

Well as of this morning there is one less fox here in CO. Patience finally paid off. I'll keep trying in case there are more.

Hey good work. I mean foxes are beautiful creatures but so aren't chickens right?

you got a fox then I suggest you track down Foxtrapper Steph at the other BYC forum.
thats something she know very well
I have only had to contend with coons and my solution is rather simple.
S.S>S.

But than again Im an ole Country boy

I had something kill 12 chicks last year by moving a large concrete block to open a pen door. I used a dead leftover in a live trap. The next morning the live trap contained the smallest coon on the planet. Park service says no trapping transporting or posessing so shoot it or let it go.

I have heard that coons will travel up to 50 miles to get back home if transported. Also, once you trap it once, it becomes "trap smart." Raccoons cary raccoon rabies.

Back
Top Bottom