Raccoons in the winter?

jbrewster

Chirping
Jul 18, 2017
I have two hens who live in a chicken tractor which consists of a small run (about 6'x2') on the bottom, and a small, enclosed coop on top (about 3'x2'). The chicken tractor is able to be completely protected from predators (hard wire cloth on all sides & bottom of the run, bolts and locks on the coop, etc.) and I've never had any issues.

Because of my work schedule and the shorter winter days, I've added an "extension" for the run that's 4'x6' so the chickens have a little more room to run around during the day. It's not as secure, as I only used chicken wire instead of hardwire cloth--but since the chickens are locked in their chicken tractor at night, I'm not worried about a raccoon or other predator trying to get them during the day.

I'm going to be gone for about a week to go home for Christmas, and I have a friend who is going to check on the chickens while I'm gone, but they won't be able to let them into the extended run in the morning and lock them in the chicken tractor at night. I'm worried the chickens are going to be too cooped up in the chicken tractor for a week, but I'm also worried about raccoons attacking if I leave the door between the chicken tractor and the extended run open. I live in Bellingham, WA, and it's going to be pretty cold for the next week (lows and highs in the 30s for most of the week)...does anyone have any advice on how active raccoons are in the winter?
IMG_0825.jpg
IMG_2345.jpg

I've added pictures if that's helpful (and the extended chicken run looks a little nicer now... ;)

i live in Canada and was told a story about raccoons in the winter, (i always thought they just sleep all winter)

had a friend tell me this (he is a trapper) so he was out in like -40C weather and it was snowing checking traps and found wolverine tracks (they go for a few hundred dollars) so he got excited when to his next trap and something was in it just caught and covered with a light layer of snow, turned out to be a raccoon.

i read the big boars come out in the winter to look for the females that den up.

My advice, personally: either find a pet sitter who can be relied upon to undertake a.m and p.m. care completely, or, move your vehicles out of your garage and move the chook tractor/run inside the garage. Spread some hay or shavings over the floor, let the girls free-range in there, and have a light on a timer (one that won't catch on fire....). And still have pet sitter check on your girls (maybe JedJackson.....;))

My advice, personally: either find a pet sitter who can be relied upon to undertake a.m and p.m. care completely, or, move your vehicles out of your garage and move the chook tractor/run inside the garage. Spread some hay or shavings over the floor, let the girls free-range in there, and have a light on a timer (one that won't catch on fire....). And still have pet sitter check on your girls (maybe JedJackson.....;))

That's what I'd do. I don't think they'll be safe outside. Best case they'll be terrorized to death.

I would invest in a solar charged light fence charger and make so tractor has a little hot-wire around perimeter where predators are likely to nose around. Coop and run as shown not well suited to survive a dog or raccoon attack because of weakness provided by run part. Dogs will have little trouble beating the hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom