Rachel wants to know what breed she is

Vytania

Songster
8 Years
Jul 26, 2013
This is Rachel and she's about 7 years old. I've had her since she was a day old but I have no idea what breed she is. I've researched off and on all this time but haven't found any other breeds that look like her. Can you help?

Rachel 2-1.png
Rachel 8 - 1.png
Rachel 10 - 1.png

I've had her since she was a day old but I have no idea what breed she is.
Where did you get her?

I'm thinking she might be some sort of a mix.

Light brown, cream colored eggs and are usually pretty big, sometimes double yolks.

Easter Eggers can have almost any appearance, so she could be one. Easter Eggers are supposed to lay blue or green eggs, but most hatcheries advertise that a few will lay eggs in some shade of brown. So an EE that lays cream/brown eggs is one possibility, if we can't figure out anything more likely.

That comb has me puzzled though: it looks to me like a single comb that's all folded up. Cream Legbars have combs a bit like that, although usually with fewer folds. But 7 years ago, Cream Legbars were not particularly common, so it was also rare to find Legbar-mixes (and her color is definitely wrong for a pure Legbar.)

Where did you get her?

I'm thinking she might be some sort of a mix.

Easter Eggers can have almost any appearance, so she could be one. Easter Eggers are supposed to lay blue or green eggs, but most hatcheries advertise that a few will lay eggs in some shade of brown. So an EE that lays cream/brown eggs is one possibility, if we can't figure out anything more likely.

That comb has me puzzled though: it looks to me like a single comb that's all folded up. Cream Legbars have combs a bit like that, although usually with fewer folds. But 7 years ago, Cream Legbars were not particularly common, so it was also rare to find Legbar-mixes (and her color is definitely wrong for a pure Legbar.)
Looks like maybe a modified pea comb.

Back
Top Bottom