Racoon attack

jannieb

Hatching
Oct 15, 2015
I need some help here, please.

So my mommy chicken has her own house for her and her babies. I had a hook and eye latch on the door, but apparently Mr Raccoon went to "lock-picking school". About 3 am I heard a commotion outside, went flying out there to find her and the babies running around all confused. I got mommy and two of the babies back in the house, but the third baby was gone. Next morning I found a bunch of feathers, i know what that means.

Fast forward...I changed the locks to slider ones, and put a spot light on the coop. Mr Raccoon cant help himself to dinner anymore, but now mommy chicken refuses to go into the house in the evenings. She always loved her house since it was just hers. So now I have to go get her from her hiding spot (an out of the way nest box) and carry her and the two babies back to their house, every evening. Once I get her to the door she is ok, goes in there willingly, but she will NOT go on her own. I changed all the hay in case it smells like the the raccoon. I don't know what to do with her PTSD. I have night classes 3x pr week so I don't really want her out past dark, alone.

Any suggestions that would help?

Thanks

Lock her in there for a whole day or two.
The slider locks can be opened by coons too, unless there's a loop with a padlock or caribineer or wire twist thru it.

I have eight girls, not a year old yet. They are my little friends. This August, 2015, I was sleeping and my boyfriend and I heard them screaming, my bedroom window faces out to their coop. I have a 15' x 15' dog cage that they are in. Didn't have a top on at that time. Two nice little houses inside the cage, their spoiled.

Four of them were attacked by a Raccoon, one of them had her head hanging out of the cage, this being 2:00 am in the morning - not really being able to see what really happened. My sweet boyfriend was able to shoot the raccoon (they are really not that cute). I have a huge cat that actually killed one, but suggested to him don't do it again, rabies shots are expensive. ; )

Back to my story, the one I thought was for sure was dead, was fine. I treated her with simple, vinegar. peroxide, and iodine. Let her alone for a day, they do get tramitixed. All is good, We now, however, tuck them in each night within the pen in their coops. Yes Raccoons can open things. Not at my house ever again.

Mice traps work really!!! The last little raccoon that tried to open the lock on the coop,. was probably really happy to see me in the morning, and lucky be alive.

I made sure I went out with gloves on and very sturdy boots. No need, he wallked out when I ask him to.

Thank you for sharing that. He hasn't been back that I can see, but I also changed the locks and have a light shining right on their houses now. The mommy chicken finally decided she would go into her house by herself with her two remaining babies. That helps.

Raccoons are not nice or cute. They hiss at you and try to stare you down. I try to get out there to do the final check right when its getting dark, but I have to start working in the evenings soon, so I am still a little nervous. One raccoon bit my cat on the neck last year, it was really bad. He is fine now but it was scary.

Thanks again.

Raccoons are mean, but they are still animals. I love my cat but he can be mean. Bit me once when I made a bad choice to interfere with a fight.

I'm good, Rabies shot. Still love my kitty cat.

I would caution everyone to be aware that raccoons nearly always carry a roundworm parasite that is known as "raccoon worms". I would encourage you to google it. An infestation of this parasite is as bad as rabies.

Raccoons tend to poo in specific places rather than at random like rodents. That's the good news. Raccoon roundworms are BAD for humans; by all means google the story. Also one of the many reasons to NOT let your pets lick your lips, as you know what they just were licking. Mary

Back
Top Bottom