Rain Birds

Falstaff

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Coarsegold
Hey,
This is my first flock 10 hens 1 rooster. i was unthe impresion that chickens did not like rain? they free range all day the last couple of times it rained they just stayed out there and forage they seem not to mind it. how about your chicks? is this okay?should I keep them locked up?

Mine free range all day and if it starts to rain hard they will run back into their run , which has a tarp over it, but if it is just a light rain they don't bother.

I have 20 birds, and there are multiple reactions to the rain. Some will remain outside, others will go in. Some that were already inside will head into the rain, and others will fluff up and go back to sleep.

What really cracks me up is my DBF's reaction. I close my coop up at dark, with the only exceptions being high wind and/or I have somewhere else to be. My DBF watches the weather, and will close them up if it looks like it's going to rain. One time he was in charge of the coop while I was out of town it rained a bit before he could close the coop up. He called to see if he could towel the wet birds off. The poor dear refuses to admit how much he loves those birds, but his actions say it all!

Back
Top Bottom