Rain!

Bubble&Squeak

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
I live in SW Florida and it's been raining like every single day. Sometimes the run is a bit flooded. The chickens aren't confined to the run all the time, there is a side yard area that I open them up to when I get home from work. I am worried that they are in standing water too long though. Are they more prone to disease and sickness this way? What can I do ?

Thanks in advance!
-Jessi in Ft. Myers

Hi neighbor!! Same problem here, I've dug trenches around the outside to try and keep the water away, it helps. I'm also going to order some sand, haha, I know, the whole yard is sand but we have mostly black sand. With now 5 days of rain, because it's raining again as I post this, I have a tarp that I attach to the side that the rain comes from and it helps keep out the blowing rain. It only takes a few rains to figure out the best way down here and let me tell you, after the first bad rain, it smelled terrible. Now after all these days of rain no smell. I used wood chips in the coop and mixed in some stall-dry, can't find DE although Pam's feed was supposed to be ordering some. Sand helps keep the mud down, I found it the best for our weather here.

I'm in North Fort Myers! Hi!

Back
Top Bottom