Rain

SunnyAlberta

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Canada - Garden Zone 3
I'm new to chickens. When weather turns bad, do you lock up your birds to keep them dry or can chickens cope with getting wet in a rain storm? I work all day and I wonder, if rain is predicted, should I keep the doors of the coop locked, rain and draft free, or should I not worry about wet getting in the coop if weather changes while I'm away from home.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd worry about is flooding. We have had 2 bad storms in 2 days. My whole property is flooded. I was out in the storm catching stranded chickens and moving them into the coop. We lost one in the process.

I'm sorry for your loss, Furbabymom.
sad.png

We've had flooding in my area, too, but the spot where the chickens are is high and well drained so the are fine, thankfully. The neighbour's homes? Not so much.
hmm.png

I have a tarp that covers the top of the run, it helps keep the sand dry, so I tend to leave the run door open. If the winds are strong, heavy rain and lightening, I'll probably close them up. Snow storms for sure. Better to keep them safe and dry.
D.gif

I'm new to chickens. When weather turns bad, do you lock up your birds to keep them dry or can chickens cope with getting wet in a rain storm? I work all day and I wonder, if rain is predicted, should I keep the doors of the coop locked, rain and draft free, or should I not worry about wet getting in the coop if weather changes while I'm away from home.
Mine love being out! I live in Oregon, so they would be locked up 8 months of the year, lol. I have one side of the run covered in a tarp to keep it dry and they can get underneath the coop as well. I also have a large plastic dog house with straw in it. I've seen them hang out in there too. They will even free range in the backyard if it's lightly raining (I sit in the gazebo to stay dry)
smile.png

Last edited:
lau.gif
LOL I just moved to Oregon a little over a yr ago...I know what you mean!!! When, oh when will this rain ever STOP so we can get our new chicks out into the SUN?!
jumpy.gif

Mine love the rain, especially scratching in it. They will get under the hen house if it is coming down HARD, but other than that, they are out in it hunting. And they are nice and fluffy the next day after their showers.

Back
Top Bottom