Raised Platform for Waterer and Feeder to keep bedding dry and clean!

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
I am thinking of building a raised platform or some type of screen deck to put under the waterer and feeder in my brooder to help keep bedding clean and dry. What size screen/hardware cloth would you recommend? I'm thinking something along the lines of 1/8"or1/4" hardware cloth/screening. Any issues with potential injury to chicks feet?

I use plywood to raise the waterer like this and keep it from turning over, I just fill the bowl with rocks so they can walk on the rocks and not drown when I use it for baby chicks. They will poop in this water so it has to be changed daily.

Grow out Water.JPG

But as you can see, the floor is hardware cloth so wire can work. This is 1/2" hardware cloth and is sometimes used for babies so as far as I'm concerned 1/2" will work but I don't do bantams.

There is a potential issue with wire. Depending on the manufacturing process some wire can have sharp nibs sticking out that can chew up chickens feet. Not all have those sharp nibs but some do, sometimes from welding the wire but usually from the hot dip galvanizing. Those should all be on one side so check the wire and face the sharp nibs down if your wire has them. Problem solved. Or get rubber coated wire.

The 1/2" hardware cloth floor in my brooder and grow-out coop allows poop to fall through until the chicks get a certain size, usually somewhere around 12 to 14 weeks old. Then the poop starts to build up on top of the wire. That will happen earlier with smaller mesh.

Back
Top Bottom