Raising 1 female duck with chickens after drake was killed

sshultz89

Hatching
Jul 1, 2017
Hi - our Khaki campbell drake was killed yesterday, we do not know what got in to the pen. Now our female will only have 6 hens (Buff Orpington chickens) to live with. They are all 3 months old and have lived together since 1 month old. Should we get another duck for the female Khaki or will she do fine with the hens? Thank you.

Chickens are not ducks.. And ducks are Very social animals. I would suggest getting another HEN duck for her... Having just one hen for a drake can be very unheathly for the hen.

I would say it depends on the relationship between the birds. I have two female ducks who share their living space with a pigeon. When one of my ducks was feeling cruddy due to extreme temps here, her "sister" and the pigeon did all of their daily do's together and we're quite happy being the odd couple.

Thank you...I think I will watch for a few days....last night she seemed a bit lost, but hanging with the hens today.
She's bound to be confused about where her friend went, and perhaps will become depressed without him for a while. It's up to you if you want to find more ducks, but she won't necessarily bond with them like she did with the drake.

Chickens are not ducks.. And ducks are Very social animals. I would suggest getting another HEN duck for her... Having just one hen for a drake can be very unheathly for the hen.
Thank you, that's what I heard from another duck friend near me. Just wish I knew what got my drake...he was the friendlier of the pair...

Back
Top Bottom