Raising a lone chick?

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
Most of you know my hatch was horrible, lost all but one.. The one with splayed legs died in my hand a bit ago while we were trying to fix its legs, obviously had other issues.. Now were are left with just one chick. None of the feed/farm stores in our area have chicks yet and I doubt posting anything on CL is going to help (I've tried in the past).. We have a fuzzy ball and mirror in its brooder but so far as soon as we leave the room its raises a ruckus, as long as we are beside it its calm.. I know they are social animals but its going to be a few days before I can get the brooder going again.. even still it would be three weeks before it has company.. What to do?

Most of you know my hatch was horrible, lost all but one.. The one with splayed legs died in my hand a bit ago while we were trying to fix its legs, obviously had other issues.. Now were are left with just one chick. None of the feed/farm stores in our area have chicks yet and I doubt posting anything on CL is going to help (I've tried in the past).. We have a fuzzy ball and mirror in its brooder but so far as soon as we leave the room its raises a ruckus, as long as we are beside it its calm.. I know they are social animals but its going to be a few days before I can get the brooder going again.. even still it would be three weeks before it has company.. What to do?
Are there any hatcheries near you?

I've tried ads on Cl before with no luck, there is a hatchery near me but they sell only a few rare breeds and at 15 bucks a chick its alittle out of my range . I know someone that may have chicks hatching this weekend, I thought about giving her this chick to put under the hen but wondered if by the time the chicks hatch this one would be to old?

Got it figured out... A friend has a broody hen that's been sitting for two weeks on a golf ball, she taking the chick tonight to slide under momma
hugs.gif

I wished you lived closer because I have the same problem with having a lonely 3 day old after it's eggs mates died. Mine is a bantam so most of the chicks other people have are either too big or too old. I live in NC so the drive to get these 2 together would be tough. I wish you luck with finding a buddy.

I wished you lived closer because I have the same problem with having a lonely 3 day old after it's eggs mates died. Mine is a bantam so most of the chicks other people have are either too big or too old. I live in NC so the drive to get these 2 together would be tough. I wish you luck with finding a buddy.

Awww, yeah wish you were closer too! Craigslist never works for me as far as fertile eggs and chicks go, but maybe you can post an ad about doing like I am doing and giving the chick to someone with a broody??

Glad you found a home for the loner, OP
wee.gif
I raised a lone chick before when my grandparents' dog was killing them and it was rough. He would calm down a while after I would leave the room, but I had to let him cry for a while...poor 'lil guy. He turned out alright, I ended up giving him back to my grandparents because I live in the city and roos are a no-no. Raising loners can be done, but they are definitely happier with a buddy or 2.

I have check CL and I do have a broody hen. She loves to set on the eggs but once they hatch out, she kills them. We were lucky we saved the one we have because we were not so lucky with the other 2.

Glad you found a home for the loner, OP
wee.gif
I raised a lone chick before when my grandparents' dog was killing them and it was rough. He would calm down a while after I would leave the room, but I had to let him cry for a while...poor 'lil guy. He turned out alright, I ended up giving him back to my grandparents because I live in the city and roos are a no-no. Raising loners can be done, but they are definitely happier with a buddy or 2.

LOL, my daughter felt sorry for it last night, took it into her room to hang out with her, it quiets down if someone is with it, but I cant always be here and I hate to have to put it out in the brooder box by its self and I aint raising a house chicken
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom