Raising a rooster as a housepet, advice?

You can have then inside, though it is better to have 2 inside, or 3, so they don't get lonely.
I don’t disagree completely, some people do successfully keep them inside, it just depends on the circumstances. I just personally think there is a lot of value in having them able to be exposed to the outside 🙂 there are so many things a chicken can do for joy outdoors that we can’t quite replicate inside. It would be unfair to deprive them of some of those things if you are able to offer them and don’t. Again, I know everyone’s circumstances are different. As @Mrs. K said, don’t mean to be a parade rainer :oops:, I just know how much our girls love doing chicken things outside. Definitely agree that they need friends, indoors or out!

As for all of you discouraging this person from keeping the rooster, and saying chickens aren't indoor pets, you are contributing to roosters being killed or dumped.

I don’t disagree completely, some people do successfully keep them inside, it just depends on the circumstances. I just personally think there is a lot of value in having them able to be exposed to the outside 🙂 there are so many things a chicken can do for joy outdoors that we can’t quite replicate inside. It would be unfair to deprive them of some of those things if you are able to offer them and don’t. Again, I know everyone’s circumstances are different. As @Mrs. K said, don’t mean to be a parade rainer :oops:, I just know how much our girls love doing chicken things outside. Definitely agree that they need friends, indoors or out!
They can have both! You can take them to parks, or let them play in a yard.

I think if you rehome the hen (people will take her) and get another rooster from someone who can't keep it (you will totally find one) you can keep them together indoors. They would like to be able to play outside sometimes (when outdoor and indoor temps are close to indoor temps, and have a dust bath, but chickens can be indoor pets. Roosters who are kept without hens are not agressive, so having 2 to keep eachother company is perfect. Sadly, you can't neuter the rooster, as he will have issues like fatty liver disease.
So much misinformation. Roosters won’t automatically be non aggressive just because they don’t have hens. It depends on the individual bird. And where did you hear that they get FLD from being neutered? There’s plenty that don’t.

So much misinformation. Roosters won’t automatically be non aggressive just because they don’t have hens. It depends on the individual bird. And where did you hear that they get FLD from being neutered? There’s plenty that don’t.
Just because some don't does not mean it is not a risk. Also, what I meant was they are mostly non or less agressive, more like hens aggression.

Just because some don't does not mean it is not a risk. Also, what I meant was they are mostly non or less agressive, more like hens aggression.
Where did you read that though? I have never heard that. Also you made it seem like ALL would get it. Also, again, that’s not true. They can still be just as aggressive.

As for all of you discouraging this person from keeping the rooster, and saying chickens aren't indoor pets, you are contributing to roosters being killed or dumped.

OP was very clear in their first post, keeping a male is illegal in their area. If said male's crowing annoys any of the neighbours to the point of reporting it, what do you think will happen to this cockerel? In addition, Mrs K put it very well. In this setting, it is much more likely that this male turns aggressive, at which point he will definitely have to be given away; and an aggressive cockerel will not easily find a home. Only one where he is likely to be eaten

Back
Top Bottom