Raising a turkey with chickens

Jimmy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Can you raise a turkey with a small flock(13) of chickens? The chickens are almost full grown(14 weeks old) and I was wondering if they would get along in the same coop and run.

I've heard that turkeys will pick up diseases from chickens, but that was in a book from England. My new aunt's parents have a huge tom that wanders around with his bantams and does just fine though. Anyone else know?

I have turkey babies in with my chicken babies right now.
As of right now I have had no problems. But the turkeys can get 'blackhead disease' from the chickens.
I have a friend who has there turkeys in with the chickens. They are cooped together during the night and free range together during the day. 5 years later no problems.

I know there are other posts on this topic floating around here.

I do eventually plan on seperating my turkeys and chickens.
Right now they are little (2 1/2 months old) and from what I was told by others (ones I got the turkeys from) it's ok, until older.

Turkeys,like peafowl seem to do best if left on wire floors until at least 2 months old, IMO. I have turkeys in with chickens on wire but once they are old enough to free range they are together during the day but have their own coops at night. Some people have no problems housing them together, but a friend of mine lost a peacock to Blackhead after using a coop she had chickens in prev, so I just don't take the chance.

The two possible problems are generally size issues with the turkey smushing the chickens, and possible black head from chicken to turkey.

That said, I have a bunch of silkies which are living with a pair of 40 lb toms. They do just fine.

As for black head, check your local area to see if it is a problem or not. It is not a problem here so there is no danger in mixing them.

in my book from Freys hatchery (where I got my girls) they have FAQ section and it says due to feed differences and the blackhead issue they also say not to let a turkey freerange in a yard that a chicken has been in for at least 3 years...they dont say why tho

Back
Top Bottom