Raising a variety of meat breeds

A lot has gotten accomplished since i posted last.
I got the frame built. (Yes i know i put the 2×4s on wrong, it is now too late ylto change :/)

We then got the siding on, we are going to cover it with tin

I got my first order of chicks in.

I got Red Ranger and Dixie Rainbow chicks for my first order. There are 27 in all and all arrived alive from Hoovers.

I did have three that were very weak, but honey water and a hot pad has seemed to make them better

So we hd a very bad day yesterday.
1f614.png
I lost 11 birds to water. They were fine in the afternoon when i checked them, i refilled their waterer, and left. When i came back to check them in the evening 10 were DOA, 1 dieds after a fight. I managed to save three weak ones. The survivors spent the night in the house.
As near as i can tell they all got wet and then some could not get warm. I will look at my whole set up today and see where my mistake was. I had a small waterer, rocks in the tray, but everything was wet.
Very bad day.

Sorry to hear that but wanted to say thank you for sharing. I need to address water for our meaties today got them on 3/9 from TSC and the 11 of them plus a few polish chicks drained a quart chick waterer in 12 hours. I thought about a spare standard commercial waterer that is laying around but them getting wet seems a legitimate concern. Probably time to switch them to nipples the meaties are definitely big enough.

Sorry to hear that but wanted to say thank you for sharing.  I need to address water for our meaties today got them on 3/9 from TSC and the 11 of them plus a few polish chicks drained a quart chick waterer in 12 hours.  I thought about a spare standard commercial waterer that is laying around but them getting wet seems a legitimate concern.  Probably time to switch them to nipples the meaties are definitely big enough.

I was told to get a quail waterer. But after this experience i can see the value of nipples.

My brother came down to help build the tractor. He is much younger, handier, and much more agile then i am. So he climbed up and started on the roof of the tractor.
He is also fixing a few of my larger mistakes as well as he can :D

It is really coming togeather and starting to look like a true building. Now if i can just keep a few chicks alive to put in it
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom