Raising a variety of meat breeds

It's the Medium grow Farm Rangers that are more like them, I get my next batch of them in 4 weeks
1f44d.png

Will keep you informed.

Last edited:
Just weighed my slow grow Sasso's and they average 470g at 4 weeks old.

There target weight is 2.3kg at 12 weeks, although I will keep them until 14-16 weeks for a slightly larger bird.

Just weighed my slow grow Sasso's and they average 470g at 4 weeks old.

There target weight is 2.3kg at 12 weeks, although I will keep them until 14-16 weeks for a slightly larger bird.
That's dressed weight right? Target of 2.3 KG (5.06 lbs) on the table I'm assuming. That's right on par with what's offered in the States here for Red Broliers/Freedom Rangers. That's our La Rouge type hybrid.

Shame about your Cornish. Beautiful birds and a nice roasting chicken.

They are a slow growing light bird with a delicate flavour, you can keep them longer for a larger bird if you want but the meat will be tougher, they are similar to La Bresse but finish earlier.

Our Sasso Farm Rangers are about the same as your Freedom Rangers, they make 3.2kg in 12 weeks.

I am picking a batch of 20 Farm Rangers up June 25th.
Will be keeping them until there 14-16 weeks for some large dinners, ha.

Both breeds are going into my breeding plans.

Last edited:
I am late with my weights because DH let the birds out of the coop early yesterday and the idea of trying to chase each down around the yard was ridiculous. But I now have each weighed, only a day late.

Rainbow Dixie
Weigh an average of 1095g or 2.4lbs. They gained 307g.

Red Ranger
Weigh an average of 1125g or 2.5lbs. They gained 273g.

Jersey Giants
Weigh an average of 575g or 1.3lbs. They gained 145 g.

Layers
Weigh an average of 547 or 1.2lbs. They gained 81g.

Back
Top Bottom