Raising and caring for ducklings

My mallards are a day old, is it too early to introduce them to water and feed?

If you have them in the broode...introduce it. I dipped all my ducks bills in water to show them and pecked at feed with my finger to get them interested. My opinion is the earlier you expose them the better. Yes they can live off their yolk, but I hate to chance dehydration. I also put vitamins and electrolytes with a tsp of sugar the first couple days in the water. But I wouldn't let them swim yet...just make sure they can get their whole bill in the water so they don't get clogged. You can also make a mash of food and water to make it easier to eat.

Last edited:
I got day-olds from a hatchery, and gave them water and feed right away, based on Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. You want something like a chick waterer at first, and I used a chick feeder, too. Well, multiple feeders and waterers since we had fifteen littles.

Take a look around and find out about head washers, too. You need to balance their needs as waterfowl with the fact that they can get themselves into trouble and even sometimes drown, so be careful. But they need the water.

Our ducklings poop even in the 'no-poop' waterers. They climb on top and let it rain, heh! We have week-old ducklings (bought them as day-olds, freshly hatched) and they are thriving, gaining and not showing signs of sickness or low energy. We change the water 4-5x a day, but it's not exactly spotless in between changes. They seem to be doing ok.

Our ducklings poop even in the 'no-poop' waterers. They climb on top and let it rain, heh! We have week-old ducklings (bought them as day-olds, freshly hatched) and they are thriving, gaining and not showing signs of sickness or low energy. We change the water 4-5x a day, but it's not exactly spotless in between changes. They seem to be doing ok.
LOL

I don't think I've heard of no poop waterers and I can't imagine what they look like or how anyone could prevent projectile duck poop.
gig.gif

Its great to hear that your little ones are doing well. Changing the water often is important and it one of the difficult things about ducklings since they can make their water look so dirty so quickly. A clean duck/duckling waterer is a just filled one. Otherwise its more about managing the filth. LOL

What is niacin and what is it for?? My ducks didn't have any, and I fed them chick starter?? My one duck has wings that stick out and hang down low! We tried wrapping them to her body for 7 days, but they still stick out! I feel so bad about this!! She is probably 3 mos old. Is there anything I can do to correct this??? What causes this??? I was giving her corn/cracked corn along with the chick starter, and she might have had layer pellets when she was 2 mos. old. I read that too much protein can cause the wings to stick out and hang down, not stay close to her body???

What is niacin and what is it for?? My ducks didn't have any, and I fed them chick starter?? My one duck has wings that stick out and hang down low! We tried wrapping them to her body for 7 days, but they still stick out! I feel so bad about this!! She is probably 3 mos old. Is there anything I can do to correct this??? What causes this??? I was giving her corn/cracked corn along with the chick starter, and she might have had layer pellets when she was 2 mos. old. I read that too much protein can cause the wings to stick out and hang down, not stay close to her body???
Sometimes angel wing is genetic disorder and may not have had anything to do with what you fed her especially if your other ducks are fine and don't have it. The theory use to be too much protein in their diet when babies, but I feed 22% protein Flock Raiser and haven't had angel wing in my flock. As long as your duck is healthy and not having any related problems with her wings I wouldn't worry about it it is really more cosmetic than a health issues unless you want her to fly. Niacin is a B vitamin and chick start doesn't have enough in it for ducklings that's why we recommend those with ducklings feeding chick starter supplement with niacin to help with any leg or neurological issues ducklings can get http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

You mentioned above that ducklings can sometimes have medicated feed. I have Purina Sunfresh Start & Grow Medicated, is that ok for ducklings? What makes medicated feed bad for them?

Back
Top Bottom