Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
On another thread a young guy who hatched a Duckling yesterday or Sunday has had it start not keeping one eye open, and now both are shut. Any suggestions? The one from last week seems to be fine.
Is there drainage or goo around the eyes? he could get some Veterycin spray and use it on the lil ones eyes[very safe ] or make a saline solution with 1/8 teas salt to 1 cup of warm water and use a cotton ball and gently wash around the eyes. It may not be nothing and the duckling gets over it on it's own if nothing else is going on or it may have picked up an infection from the bator.

Last edited:
Maybe this has already been answered but....do ducklings need a heat lamp at night if they live indoors? If so, how will they sleep with a bright light?
cool.png

Maybe this has already been answered but....do ducklings need a heat lamp at night if they live indoors? If so, how will they sleep with a bright light?

use a red light or blue light bulb go by this 1 st week 85-90 2nd 80-85 and continue to drop 5* each week there after till they are at room temp. and Let them feather in before putting them outside for good. Get a good digital thermometer so you can get accurate temps in the brooder.

Last spring I temporarily took care of some baby ducks after a raccoon killed their mom. I bought a bag of game bird starter but never finished it. I put the leftover feed in plastic containers with screw on lids and left it in my basement, which is dark and cool. I am now hatching duck eggs and was wondering if that feed will still be good? It's about 10 months old. No biggie if I have to buy a new bag but if I can use it that would be good too. Thanks. :)

Last spring I temporarily took care of some baby ducks after a raccoon killed their mom. I bought a bag of game bird starter but never finished it. I put the leftover feed in plastic containers with screw on lids and left it in my basement, which is dark and cool. I am now hatching duck eggs and was wondering if that feed will still be good? It's about 10 months old. No biggie if I have to buy a new bag but if I can use it that would be good too. Thanks.
smile.png
I wouldn't use it it could have some mold growing in it and feed really doesn't keep very well for long periods. Best to er on the side of caution. they need chick starter anyway.

Does anyone know of any treats I can feed my one week old duckling or should he just be on crumb right now? I'd love to give him something new as he wants to eat anything he sees xxx

Back
Top Bottom