Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
I love it!!! What kind of goats are you getting? We want 2 pygmy goats...but not sure what breed yet. They are pets also like our 2 hens I'd it horrible that i just want 2 if everything like Noahs ark because I just want them all as pets? Shhhhh...don't tell hubby..lol
Nigerian Dwarfs are what i plan on. I want spotted ones, love to look at them! I used to raise Kikos, Nubians and other assorted goats.But i want to keep the feed bills down .

Nigerian Dwarfs are what i plan on. I want spotted ones, love to look at them! I used to raise Kikos, Nubians and other assorted goats.But i want to keep the feed bills down .
I have a friend developing a new breed... A long haired Nigerian Dwarf. Have no idea how far along she is.:confused: My DW is a big fan of the dwarf. I think they are in my future. Wonder if I can get her to milk them for goat cheese?:oops:

I have a friend developing a new breed... A long haired Nigerian Dwarf. Have no idea how far along she is.:confused: My DW is a big fan of the dwarf. I think they are in my future. Wonder if I can get her to milk them for goat cheese?:oops:
Milking is easy. Because a lot of the goats we had at first were meat goats, they were not used to being milked. But if they get mastitis , they need to be milked frequently. I learned how to milk in about any position while pinning the goat. Even if the goat is laying down! They soon get used to it and learn they feel better afterwards.
I never learned to milk until i taught myself on the goats.
The easiest goats to milk are bottle babies trained to a stand. That is why people bottle feed so much. I am thinking i will try to buy bottle fed goats if possible. So much easier to work with.
Oh, by the way, my chicks are all growing great! All 24 are still with us.

Milking is easy. Because a lot of the goats we had at first were meat goats, they were not used to being milked. But if they get mastitis , they need to be milked frequently. I learned how to milk in about any position while pinning the goat. Even if the goat is laying down! They soon get used to it and learn they feel better afterwards.
I never learned to milk until i taught myself on the goats.
The easiest goats to milk are bottle babies trained to a stand. That is why people bottle feed so much. I am thinking i will try to buy bottle fed goats if possible. So much easier to work with.
Oh, by the way, my chicks are all growing great! All 24 are still with us.
I've got so much work to do to get this place ready for more critters... It was raped after the first owner died and then neglected for 13 years. I'm making headway--but its not a fast process.:oops:

Oh, btw, my 8 week olds are being a total pain about going into their shelters at night. This is the hardest batch I've trained and they are pushing back in a big way. Also got a mottly crew who refuse to stay in the pasture and wander about the place starting right after breakfast until dark. Never any consistency from one batch to the next.:mad:

Hi all!! Just caught up.on 2 weeks worth of events and adventures here on the thread! School year started and life got CRAZY! Finished our second week and students are settling in..classroom is rolling...so time for some BYC :woot so my girl Fiona hatched on April 24th laid her first egg!!! It is sooooo tiny! View attachment 1121240View attachment 1121241
View attachment 1121243
This is taken next to a store medium grade..LOL! Hubby might need a whole dozen for one omelet :lau bantam baby pets....love them! Sister Sydney just looked at her like she was crazy hanging out in that nest box throwing fluff all over her! Just you wait little Sydney...your time is coming

:clap congrats.
I have a Fiona too. Sister is Felicia. :)
And you think those are small, try some seramas. They definitely take a dozen to make a decent meal. :D

Folks, I made a huge mistake today... I generally go into the pasture, fill all the feed troughs and water bowls and then let the kids out of lock down. I was late going up today, so I got the brilliant idea to let the kids out and then fill everything. BAD idea!:oops:

They came running out of their various shelters and houses right to the food and water containers. Oops, nothing in there.:barnie Oh were the kids unhappy. I had a terrible time getting to the food container and stored buckets as they were all around my feed and yelling at me.:oops:

From now on, food and water first, doors open second.:barnie:th:he

:eek: :th

No, no, no!!! Never release the piranhas before their buffet is laid out!! :barnie

My other half loves to release them before I can get feed out when he is off... he stopped when he saw why I protested so much, lol! :lau

Wonder if I can get her to milk them for goat cheese?:oops:

If you can't, *might* be able to hook you up nest year... got ourselves a Nubian doeling and a Nubian/LaMancha cross wether... if all works out, we will either get a buckling in spring or get her bred by other means... :D

Back
Top Bottom