Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
I have too many little bantam roos - what do you do with them? It's not worth trying to eat them. But see - boy Sebright on the left, girl sebright on the right. The EE and one of the Seramas are already crowing. Little squeaks now, but starting to get louder. I have NO idea what to do with them.View attachment 1048473
Well, people eat quail... haha, I don't know what I'd do. I had to make trios of the d'Uccles in order to sell them (and I just sold them for the two-pullet price). If they're getting 1 cockerel and 2 pullets, they're more likely to buy them.

Toby is turning out to be a good roo. He is actually really good with Skipper's abandoned chicks too! (I know, whenever I name a bird something like "Skipper" or "Bratt" - the names always are like little self-fulfilling prophecies!) I had no idea what to expect with two little chicks running around the yard, but so far, so good.
20170504_153229_kindlephoto-86677731.jpg

Question of the Day!! At what age are you able to determine cockerel/pullet with your chicks? (Sex links and auto sexing breeds don't count) What are some of the things you look for or notice that distinguish them from one another?
Great question...definitely depends on the breed of course but I look for pink-ish colored combs (pullets tend to be more of a flesh tone), early waddle development, tail feather curve, and behavior. And I will never forget the morning my favorite ameracauna gal "Beyoncé" crowed...woke up the entire mountain and proved that sometimes it is just too hard to tell until they mature :p

Great question...definitely depends on the breed of course but I look for pink-ish colored combs (pullets tend to be more of a flesh tone), early waddle development, tail feather curve, and behavior. And I will never forget the morning my favorite ameracauna gal "Beyoncé" crowed...woke up the entire mountain and proved that sometimes it is just too hard to tell until they mature :p
Haha..Beyonce... love it! I'm curious what his name became!
I've had little stinkers crow at three weeks, but usually they have already shown themselves to be cockerels by other traits first. I used to mock people who used comb and wattle color and development as indicators. Now I do it all the time and have been fairly accurate - although males can definitely be slow developers, and females, more quickly for sure.
The rule for this year for me has been: "It's probably a cockerel." And darn it all, I've been right way too often!! Maybe next year will be a pullet year?!?! :fl

IMG_20170402_193126.jpg
Some of you have seen this chick pic before - he was my three week old crower and officially got his little tribe booted out of the house soon there after. That was one of my cockerel heavy hatches (8 to 2!!!) this season. Personality x100 for sure, but not at 4:30 AM!! :)

eta: I just chuckled looking at the kitchen. My kids still have not managed the art of shutting a drawer or cupboard all the way and they are 20 (twin boys) and on the verge of 18 (daughter). Someday...

I've enjoyed y'all on this thread so much! Been talking to my HE (husband equivalent) about a small laying flock for a couple of years. I garden and raise most of our vegetables. I like feeling secure in the quality of our food, as well as being prepared should we need to depend on providing for ourselves. I can and freeze our bounty, which makes me feel even more secure. A small laying flock dovetails perfectly into our lives and needs.

He doesn't do icky bloody poopy stinky, but I'm a woman of a certain age, mother, retired nurse, and former farm girl. I consider icky bloody poopy stinky to be the usual. He's always bragging about how he's gifted with something he calls "spatially oriented".:lau I told him to get that spatial orientation in hand, gave him copies of several design plans to choose from, and informed him I needed him to build my hen house before the end of July.

Today I ordered what will be my first hens in about twenty years. They are due to ship on the 28th. And reading through this whole thread has gotten me excited! :weeI hope that's not a bad thing. I hate when my hopes get dashed, so I'm trying real hard to be only cautiously optimistic.

Since I remember raising chicks quite well, I jumped in and ordered 25 layer pullets. Split between Ameraucanas, black australorp, gold sex link, cuckoo Marans, and the hatchery's leghorn x hybrid. Getting a late start this year due to building new raised beds, weather (think biblical deluge), and HE's sciatica. I plan on keeping 6-10 layers and selling or trading the rest in 3-4 months. :fl Won't have room this winter for many more than that. My lot is huge, but it's still suburban, so I'm pushing it a smudge at 10 anyway.

Got a spare room set up for the biddies. It's not air conditioned (old sun porch conversion) but good airflow that can be controlled. Seedling heat mats tested and ready for supplemental heat on a thermostat. Love those things. No craziness from lights 24/7 and not a fire hazard.

I love this site! :love I'll be following along with y'all.

Haha..Beyonce... love it! I'm curious what his name became!
I've had little stinkers crow at three weeks, but usually they have already shown themselves to be cockerels by other traits first. I used to mock people who used comb and wattle color and development as indicators. Now I do it all the time and have been fairly accurate - although males can definitely be slow developers, and females, more quickly for sure.
The rule for this year for me has been: "It's probably a cockerel." And darn it all, I've been right way too often!! Maybe next year will be a pullet year?!?! :fl

cockerel heavy here too. People around me are happy to take them, if they are FREE! :barnie

I did luck out on OEGBs being more female heavy, and chocolate orps too, but between the cochins and seramas, i have enough tiny testosterone to open my own boy's club!

I've enjoyed y'all on this thread so much! Been talking to my HE (husband equivalent) about a small laying flock for a couple of years. I garden and raise most of our vegetables. I like feeling secure in the quality of our food, as well as being prepared should we need to depend on providing for ourselves. I can and freeze our bounty, which makes me feel even more secure. A small laying flock dovetails perfectly into our lives and needs.

He doesn't do icky bloody poopy stinky, but I'm a woman of a certain age, mother, retired nurse, and former farm girl. I consider icky bloody poopy stinky to be the usual. He's always bragging about how he's gifted with something he calls "spatially oriented".:lau I told him to get that spatial orientation in hand, gave him copies of several design plans to choose from, and informed him I needed him to build my hen house before the end of July.

Today I ordered what will be my first hens in about twenty years. They are due to ship on the 28th. And reading through this whole thread has gotten me excited! :weeI hope that's not a bad thing. I hate when my hopes get dashed, so I'm trying real hard to be only cautiously optimistic.

Since I remember raising chicks quite well, I jumped in and ordered 25 layer pullets. Split between Ameraucanas, black australorp, gold sex link, cuckoo Marans, and the hatchery's leghorn x hybrid. Getting a late start this year due to building new raised beds, weather (think biblical deluge), and HE's sciatica. I plan on keeping 6-10 layers and selling or trading the rest in 3-4 months. :fl Won't have room this winter for many more than that. My lot is huge, but it's still suburban, so I'm pushing it a smudge at 10 anyway.

Got a spare room set up for the biddies. It's not air conditioned (old sun porch conversion) but good airflow that can be controlled. Seedling heat mats tested and ready for supplemental heat on a thermostat. Love those things. No craziness from lights 24/7 and not a fire hazard.

Nice intro!! Welcome aboard! :hugs
(my husband is suffering from some sciatica right now too!)

Welcome aboard!! Oh my goodness!! So excited for you!! That cheeping, peeping package in the mail is going to be so fun! It sounds to me like your plans are good ones and I look forward to hearing about your progress and seeing pics of your new babies! Before you know it, your man will be out back watching "Chicken TV" like he's got a new show to binge watch. Being a chicken daddy is a real thing - ready or not!! :woot

Back
Top Bottom