Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
2 tiny OEGBs that i saved after momma hatched others. These were a few days behind so i put them in the bator.
WP_20170619_21_08_25_Pro_LI.jpg

Awww - they're so tiny!! So glad they made it! Will you be able to give them back to mamma, or will you need to brood them indoors?

I'll try giving them to her. She's super-protective (a real pecker!) but also allows me to check out chicks and such. So it may not be too late for her to take them in. There's another momma in that same pen that mothered some lav orps and a cochin for me. I sold the lavs, so she only has the cochin now. She might take them too.

I'll try giving them to her. She's super-protective (a real pecker!) but also allows me to check out chicks and such. So it may not be too late for her to take them in. There's another momma in that same pen that mothered some lav orps and a cochin for me. I sold the lavs, so she only has the cochin now. She might take them too.
So, how old is too old when slipping chicks under a broody? What age chicks will finally make a mamma say, "There's no way I just hatched you!!"?

Question of the Day!! At what age are you able to determine cockerel/pullet with your chicks? (Sex links and auto sexing breeds don't count) What are some of the things you look for or notice that distinguish them from one another?

So, how old is too old when slipping chicks under a broody? What age chicks will finally make a mamma say, "There's no way I just hatched you!!"?

From what I've seen, I think they are smart enough to know they didn't hatch them. But some hens are still accepting and will even take juvies in, but others aren't. I tried putting the lone cochin that my OEGB hen hatched, over into the cochin pen with 3 others that hatched a week prior, and that momma pecked it and ran it off. Even the other cochin babies ran from it, and they all look just alike! lol But all of the OEGB hens are much more accepting. Even one of the young juvie OEGB girls was taking care of 3 babies when momma took the other baby inside. These 3 haven't learned their way up the ramp yet. I have to help them for a few nights.

So basically, that's my long-winded way of saying it depends on the hen. :D

From what I've seen, I think they are smart enough to know they didn't hatch them. But some hens are still accepting and will even take juvies in, but others aren't. I tried putting the lone cochin that my OEGB hen hatched, over into the cochin pen with 3 others that hatched a week prior, and that momma pecked it and ran it off. Even the other cochin babies ran from it, and they all look just alike! lol But all of the OEGB hens are much more accepting. Even one of the young juvie OEGB girls was taking care of 3 babies when momma took the other baby inside. These 3 haven't learned their way up the ramp yet. I have to help them for a few nights.

So basically, that's my long-winded way of saying it depends on the hen. :D
Haha - I kind of thought that might be the answer! I have an untested 6 month old BCM broody. I don't have anything to give her right now, and I don't want any more chicks - at least until I get them mostly grown out and see what I actually have out there! And she is a determined thing. She has no eggs and I take her off every chance I get. She's totally naked on her chest and belly, and she makes a sound that is just like little kids yelling "No!!" every time I move her. Besides being pretty funny, and not wanting to cage her up because she's a terrible layer anyway, will she eventually snap out of it?

Haha - I kind of thought that might be the answer! I have an untested 6 month old BCM broody. I don't have anything to give her right now, and I don't want any more chicks - at least until I get them mostly grown out and see what I actually have out there! And she is a determined thing. She has no eggs and I take her off every chance I get. She's totally naked on her chest and belly, and she makes a sound that is just like little kids yelling "No!!" every time I move her. Besides being pretty funny, and not wanting to cage her up because she's a terrible layer anyway, will she eventually snap out of it?

If you search - there are threads on breaking broodies....putting them in a cage with a grated floor, so air hits their belly. Or slipping frozen water bottles underneath. Anything to cool down the area the eggs should be.

As for figuring out boy vs girl. It really depends on the breed. My silkies are the hardest. I look for streamers off the back of their head, and the ruff around their neck getting thicker. For other breeds, it depends on the type of comb. It helps when you have multiple chicks.....if some have big combs, and some don't, you know. Lastly, tail feathers - nice round even feathers - girl. Uneven, messy, sometimes pointier feathers - boy. But, I don't get rid of any that I'm not POSITIVE about, until they start to crow.

I have too many little bantam roos - what do you do with them? It's not worth trying to eat them. But see - boy Sebright on the left, girl sebright on the right. The EE and one of the Seramas are already crowing. Little squeaks now, but starting to get louder. I have NO idea what to do with them.
20170618_201719.jpg

Back
Top Bottom