Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
Any one who processes chickens have a good link to info on this. I have been reading some on this for when the time comes. Hubby is honestly attatched to the rooster. He is the one who named him Rubles. I was calling him roo or roast. I got looks. He is all about giving him a chance. I told him I will only be an independent party for only so long. Then switch gears to butcher.
Am I neutral if I wonder if he is tastier than the store bought chicken I am used too?:drool meat birds are a possibility in the future. We just bought 5 acres. Just not prepared for it this year. Kind of itching to see if I can do the deed and process him:oops: however I dont want to attempt until I have fully educated myself. Or maybe do with someone experienced the first time. Thoughts any one. A little evil or just inner farmer?
He will definitely taste better than anything you find in the store. If you like, PM me and i'll point you toward some instructional videos...

Didn't get much done on the coop today but i did paint the workshop twice! 20170829_190313.jpg

So, Sara and Carrie, 2 of my serama hens, hatched 5 chicks on July 1st. Sara left them a couple weeks ago, Carrie kept mothering.

Carrie finally weaned them a few days ago, and went to roost with the other adults.

So it turns out that 3 of the 5 youngsters are silkied seramas, and 2 are smooth. The 3 silkied ones are male, the 2 smooth are female. I needed the male silkied to replace my current cockerel, so i decided to move the 2 silkies males to my silkied pen. (Oh I gave one male to a prior customer because it looked exactly like one she got from me last fall, but she lost it to a predator).
So i grabbed the 2 boys and put them in the other pen. The girls cried, so i moved them too. They were all getting picked on anyway, and i can always move the girls back when they get older.

The chicks already in the silkied pen looked them over, but didn't really protest too much. I thought great! It started to get dark and the new ones didn't know where to go! I went back out to see where they ended up and one of the little boys had cuddled up in the nest box with a hen that is sitting on eggs! I was surprised she let him, but there he was. :lol:

Hoping tomorrow works out as well. :fl

My chicks are getting big! Today i wanted to put a couple more hooks in the brooder to hang a bigger waterer. Every time i started working, one of the chicks would fly out! Then the race was on to catch them. Mini, the Shepherd, actually helped round them up without trying to taste them! I was so happy with her! I ended up putting them in a storage bin while i hung the new waterer. They were emptying out the smaller one too fast.
I am going to make a small pen inside the coop to keep them in soon so they can have more room. I will have to throw a party when i finish that coop!

So, Sara and Carrie, 2 of my serama hens, hatched 5 chicks on July 1st. Sara left them a couple weeks ago, Carrie kept mothering.

Carrie finally weaned them a few days ago, and went to roost with the other adults.

So it turns out that 3 of the 5 youngsters are silkied seramas, and 2 are smooth. The 3 silkied ones are male, the 2 smooth are female. I needed the male silkied to replace my current cockerel, so i decided to move the 2 silkies males to my silkied pen. (Oh I gave one male to a prior customer because it looked exactly like one she got from me last fall, but she lost it to a predator).
So i grabbed the 2 boys and put them in the other pen. The girls cried, so i moved them too. They were all getting picked on anyway, and i can always move the girls back when they get older.

The chicks already in the silkied pen looked them over, but didn't really protest too much. I thought great! It started to get dark and the new ones didn't know where to go! I went back out to see where they ended up and one of the little boys had cuddled up in the nest box with a hen that is sitting on eggs! I was surprised she let him, but there he was. :lol:

Hoping tomorrow works out as well. :fl
Haha:lau priceless!!

I think any chicken keeper should be prepared for having to put a bird down, whether it be for eating or for sickness or whatever the case may be. It's a part of raising chickens!
casportpony recently started this thread with some excellent info. Check it out if you like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/euthanasia-information.1195265/
I was looking all over this site for the chick euthanasia article that I was given to read when I had some serious defects show up in one if my hatches. It was done so well, and was super humane.
Anyway, I couldn't find it. Any ideas where it might be?

I was looking all over this site for the chick euthanasia article that I was given to read when I had some serious defects show up in one if my hatches. It was done so well, and was super humane.
Anyway, I couldn't find it. Any ideas where it might be?
No, but i seem to remember about lopping their heads off with pruners. Was it something like that?

Back
Top Bottom