Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
Hi !
Looking for some insight! My girl Fiona went broody 3-4 days ago...we have been trying to keep her out of the nest to discourage her broodiness, but feeling we lost the battle today..LOL! So, we are just making sure she gets up 3 times a day to eat, drink, poop and dust.

Anyway...my other girl Sydney started getting aggressive towards Fiona yesterday and today????? It's happening when Fiona is out and about...she is REALLY clucky and puffy because of course she wanted to sit in her nest. When they are in their house together...no issues??? Fiona is content chilling in her nest box...Sydney is up on the roost or in her fluff. It's not really bad yet, but I want to nip this in the bud!

Can Fiona's broodiness when we boot her out of the nest and she is clucky and puffy be agitating Sydney???? We have had no issues until this point?

HEEEELLLPPP!!!! :D

Congratulations on a broody!! I don't know what others do, but I left my broody alone. She got up once per day to eat, poo and dust bathe with no help from me. She didn't lose any weight. She looks healthy. So, I think they are smart enough to take care of their needs on their own. She warned everybody off about going in to her nest, so I didn't have to worry about donor eggs.

Are you giving her fertile eggs to hatch? If not, she will stay broody forever. There are threads on here on how to break the broodiness if that s what you want to do. Frozen water bottles underneath her, putting her in a box with a mesh floor of some sort, so there is air flow on her belly. Basically making them think their nesting area is cooler than usual.

Congratulations on a broody!! I don't know what others do, but I left my broody alone. She got up once per day to eat, poo and dust bathe with no help from me. She didn't lose any weight. She looks healthy. So, I think they are smart enough to take care of their needs on their own. She warned everybody off about going in to her nest, so I didn't have to worry about donor eggs.

Are you giving her fertile eggs to hatch? If not, she will stay broody forever. There are threads on here on how to break the broodiness if that s what you want to do. Frozen water bottles underneath her, putting her in a box with a mesh floor of some sort, so there is air flow on her belly. Basically making them think their nesting area is cooler than usual.
I wish I could give ger eggs but temps are cooling quickly here so not ideal chick hatching time! I know my other Bantam Cochin would go broody and she just kinda sat for a week or two... and then snapped our out of it. My Fiona is just all our out of sorts when we do get her up and about.. and her sister Sydney I think sees her puffy and clucky click and doesn't like it.. hen craziness!!!!

Last edited:
I wish I could give ger eggs but temps are cooling quickly here so not ideal chick hatching time! I know my other Bantam Cochin would go broody and she just kinda sat for a week or two... and then snapped our out of it. My Fiona is just all our out of sorts when we do get her up and about.. and her sister Sydney I think sees her puffy and clucky click and doesn't like it.. hen craziness!!!!

I thought my cochins, then my silkied seramas were going to be the last broodies for me. Wrong! I have another OEGB and a chocolate Orpington wanting to sit, both for their 3rd time this year! And a new serama pullet also trying. I keep taking eggs from the oegb and the serama. Only one chocolate pullet is laying, and she has been laying away from the broody monster. But i may end up giving in this weekend and let them do it.

It's getting cool here too. But look at it this way, those that hatch will be strong, and will be ready to lay themselves by next spring. And momma will keep them warm. I really don't need more chicks thru winter, but I've had zero luck breaking any of them!! :barnie

Oh i almost forgot to update. My silkied serama girls have hatched 5 of 6, the last one should hatch within the next couple of days. I knew it was behind, but i let them keep it. They are sticking tight. I'm very proud of them. First time for them both and itty bitty eggs, tiny babies. :clap
WP_20170911_15_32_09_Pro_LI.jpg

I thought my cochins, then my silkied seramas were going to be the last broodies for me. Wrong! I have another OEGB and a chocolate Orpington wanting to sit, both for their 3rd time this year! And a new serama pullet also trying. I keep taking eggs from the oegb and the serama. Only one chocolate pullet is laying, and she has been laying away from the broody monster. But i may end up giving in this weekend and let them do it.

It's getting cool here too. But look at it this way, those that hatch will be strong, and will be ready to lay themselves by next spring. And momma will keep them warm. I really don't need more chicks thru winter, but I've had zero luck breaking any of them!! :barnie

I may end up doing the same if she doesn't stop sitting.....waiting to see:pop:he

Oh i almost forgot to update. My silkied serama girls have hatched 5 of 6, the last one should hatch within the next couple of days. I knew it was behind, but i let them keep it. They are sticking tight. I'm very proud of them. First time for them both and itty bitty eggs, tiny babies. :clap
View attachment 1135012
WV, your photography of your mamas and babies is just fantastic. I adore how they are looking at each other in this one. Incredibly touching! :love

WV, your photography of your mamas and babies is just fantastic. I adore how they are looking at each other in this one. Incredibly touching! :love

Ha! Thank you!! I get lucky every once in a while :D
They have hatched all 5 that i started in the incubator, and the one they had when i gave them the 5 is still going, and they are still on it. One girl had a little one on the ground today when i got home, but she let me put them both back inside. She jumped right back on that other egg too. And the girls are sharing sooo well!!
WP_20170913_07_57_31_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170913_07_58_26_Pro_LI.jpg

Actually, I've learned to love broodies! They raise the babies, no integration problems, they handle it lol!

The other thing, is the really bitchy ones have become my friends. I had one that about bit my hand off at first, had to wrap my hand in a rag to take eggs from her when she started sitting. Now she is the first to run to me when i go in the pen. She finally learned to trust me!

So if you have a mean one, they can hurt you a little, but if you protect yourself the first few times, it'll be ok! Just pet them. Talk to them. Let them know you can help and aren't going to hurt them. I handle chicks too, even if they don't like it at first, they get over it. :)

Back
Top Bottom