Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
20170917_135904_kindlephoto-83487403.jpg

Well, we ended up with 6 of them! Had 8 eggs - one was a malpositioned that pipped through a blood vessel and died, the other looked like it matured to day 14 or so. They're super cute and already on Craig's list. :)

How could any hen resist that sweet face?:love

Neighbors invited us out on their pontoon boat today, so i did the unthinkable and stuck the last chick under the most attentive momma...and I left for the day. Worried about it a couple times today, but came home and it did fine! It looked very tired, since its siblings are 5 days old, and it's under 24 hours old, but i think a good nights rest and it will be just fine. It's actually already bigger than one other tiny one, so it blended in very well. :clap

View attachment 1138781
Well, we ended up with 6 of them! Had 8 eggs - one was a malpositioned that pipped through a blood vessel and died, the other looked like it matured to day 14 or so. They're super cute and already on Craig's list. :)

Nice! Cute little fella. Hope they sell quickly for you. (so ya know, you don't get too attached and wanna keep em lol)

View attachment 1138781

Sorry you lost the 2...but what a fluffy little cutie:love still trying to discourage my broody....must not stray from the goal!!!!:barnie

Neighbors invited us out on their pontoon boat today, so i did the unthinkable and stuck the last chick under the most attentive momma...and I left for the day. Worried about it a couple times today, but came home and it did fine! It looked very tired, since its siblings are 5 days old, and it's under 24 hours old, but i think a good nights rest and it will be just fine. It's actually already bigger than one other tiny one, so it blended in very well:clap

Awwww....so happy it worked out! What a fun day...hard not to worry about a new little when you are away!:lol:

My DD was on the floor playing with the two cute splashes from this mixed up bunch of "Bernards" :) I'm almost positive the one that hatched first is a cockerel. It already explores the kitchen, pecks at the other chicks, and is super social with the humans. It's really amazing how sometimes their personalities "pop" out right away, and other times, not so much.
20170917_135504_kindlephoto-83459128.jpg

My chicken babies got three times the space they had in the coop because i took the divider out. They were getting crowded again. I have the siding on the front of the coop now. And i cut the second pop hole today. There are two perches in there now so they can try those out. They are really growing! Must get more pictures. Here is my coop so far. 20170917_183651.jpg

Can't wait to let the littles out in the yard tomorrow. They're going to love it!

They ate a suet cage full of parsley, cilantro, and mustard greens but left the Brussels sprouts.

I had to cover them with a box the last two nights because they won't go in their coop. Tonight I'm climbing in there to put them in. Hopefully they'll get the idea.

I got another lucky momma/baby shot :D

But I don't understand something. I think this might be the chick that hatched in the incubator, almost a week after the others. Its been out there for 2 days, and one momma is protecting it, the other one is grabbing it by the neck and slinging it! Luckily its pretty quick, or the other momma steps in for protection. I guess first momma knows this isn't one of the ones she hatched, but the other momma still wants to care for it. I hope they work it out before the little booger gets hurt.
WP_20170919_08_19_34_Pro_LI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom