Raising chickens in Ecuador

Ricky23456

Hatching
Nov 22, 2022
Hello everyone!
We live in Ecuador.
We have a coop for 5 hens, using deep litter method. Since the area I live in is 55 degrees to 75 degrees Fahrenheit all year long and the sun stays up for 12 hours a day every day of the year Will they lay eggs continuously or take a break and molt? The blue egged hens are prized locally.
We compost the litter every few months. The image shows the view from the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    880 KB · Views: 322
Hello everyone!
We live in Ecuador.
We have a coop for 5 hens, using deep litter method. Since the area I live in is 55 degrees to 75 degrees Fahrenheit all year long and the sun stays up for 12 hours a day every day of the year Will they lay eggs continuously or take a break and molt? The blue egged hens are prized locally.
At some point, they will have to molt - but its much less likely they will all (or substantially all) start molting at the same time (particularly as you get more age variation in your flock), which really hits hard for people with flocks in more southern, and more northern, climes.

Ricky, what is grown instead of fly larvae or meal worms in Ecuador, and where in Loja would I be able to find a starter for something like that?

Hello everyone!
We live in Ecuador.
where in ecuador do you live? we are planning on moving to Vilcabamba within the year.

Back
Top Bottom