Raising chicks, keets and poults together.

EmsoffLambs

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 13, 2007
Chilcoot, CA
I recently purchased 18 slow cornish, 2 deleware pullets, 2 turkey poults, and 6 guinea keets. I'm feeding them Nutrena Meatbird feed (21% protein, the highest I could find). They have been together and doing just fine for 5 days now.

I realize raising them all togther isn't the most efficient in regards to cost of feed, but will they all keep getting along? I"m mostly worried about the turkeys, but so far the cornish X have been growing faster and are just about the same size. I've seen the guineas and turkeys take an occasional peck at a chick's butt, but nothing that has me worried yet. As long as they get plenty of room, can they all get along?

Hi! Watch them really closely for any problems and put any hurt chick/keet/poult in an aquarium in the brooder right away. In my experience the turkey poults are very peaceful under normal circumstances but will attack any weak or sick bird, and keets will peck anything that doesn't appear normal, even poo stuck to their own foot. IMO the fact that you have 18 cornish for now is in your favor as they have numbers on their side. Like you said, give them plenty of space more than they need, and continue to keep a close eye on them. Turkeys have the most beautiful feathering, and keets are fun to watch. Keep us posted! You will be an expert soon.
big_smile.png

i dunno. i think its ok. and whats the worst that can happen one dies? their gonna get killed as soon as somebody's hungry
tongue.png
but yeah i think that would be fine -- although turkeys can be some mean creatures..

Wren, thanks for the info. That makes me feel better. I got hatchery choice turkeys, so I don't even know what variety I've got. Right now I'm guessing blue state and burbon. It'll be fun to see how they turn out.

Rosy, I would rather they wait to die until I get hungry!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom