Raising ducklings and chicks together?

ashbash325

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2016
What tips and tricks do y'all have on raising ducklings and chicks together? My boyfriend & I have 23 more ducklings coming in March and I've recently convinced him to allow me to add some chicks. He used to raise tons of chickens for Perdue so he's kinda chickened-out, but that was in huge chicken houses at his old house not in a pen in the back yard with a bunch of ducks. Im not new to ducks or ducklings but i am new to chicks, what modifications would need to be made to the duck house to make it chick-friendly? Our duck house has "screened in porch" attached so the ducks can be outside but still in a shelter and away from predators so they do not have to be constantly monitored. We are adding a pool to the duck house and there is an existing pool in the pen, will the chickens try to swim? Chickens will be raised for eggs and meat (Just like our ducklings) but we are only getting 3-4 what breed would be best? Sorry for so many questions!
jumpy.gif

Ducks coming in are:

Rouen 6 Females 2 Males
Pekins 6 Females 2 Males
Blue Swedish 2 Females 1 Male
White Layer 3 Females 1 Male

My best advise is to keep them separated......Do what needs to be done to make two enclosures and not together......

My Ducklings hated the Chicks....Chicks hated the Ducklings.....I had to even have a cardboard divider up or they were after each other.....lol........Ducklings are like puppies and Chicks are bad like a reptile.......

Cheers!

I wouldn't brood them together. The ducks will make water and the chicks will get sick and die, and then the ducks will catch the sick...
They can live together, but I wouldn't do it. My mom's chickens just got some sickness (they are full grown, very well taken care of, chickens just get sick easier than ducks). I am so glad my ducks won't be exposed. Like sending a not sick person to hospital...
Ducklings are like puppies and Chicks are bad like a reptile.......

:lau oh yes!

I have two mucvoy ducks male and female,so far they live with chickens together ,they all grow up now, especially the male are quite big, the only things I don't like is they are very messy,they poop a lot in the chicken shed so I have to clean my very day and put new straw in there, I feed the ducks kitchen leftover ,they love to eat greens, I did brought them duck food from pet store but they don't really like to eat it, instead chickens eat all of them. I think my ducks are big enough to mating maybe in the next few months the female duck will lying eggs more exciting hopefully baby will come out .
My question is : do I need to separate the ducks with the chickens when the ducks are mating or lying eggs in th future ?
If the female duck are really to make babies,and babies come out one day ,do I need to separate the ducks and chicken ?
Last question ,does male ducks should separate with the female as well when the female duck sitting on top of her eggs?

Thank you

I have two mucvoy ducks male and female,so far they live with chickens together ,they all grow up now, especially the male are quite big, the only things I don't like is they are very messy,they poop a lot in the chicken shed so I have to clean my very day and put new straw in there, I feed the ducks kitchen leftover ,they love to eat greens, I did brought them duck food from pet store but they don't really like to eat it, instead chickens eat all of them. I think my ducks are big enough to mating maybe in the next few months the female duck will lying eggs more exciting hopefully baby will come out .
My question is : do I need to separate the ducks with the chickens when the ducks are mating or lying eggs in th future ?
If the female duck are really to make babies,and babies come out one day ,do I need to separate the ducks and chicken ?
Last question ,does male ducks should separate with the female as well when the female duck sitting on top of her eggs?

Thank you
Yes.....Once a male matures or gets to that age, you will know he can not live with CHICKENS NO MORE......lol......

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom