Raising ducklings in a mixed flock

Summerrains80

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
We have chickens, mallard derivative ducks, and muscovy ducks. We're expecting some muscovy ducklings soon and I'm wondering if I should prepare to separate the momma and baby ducklings from the rest of the flock once they hatch? Has anyone had trouble with other female or male muscovies or other ducks and chickens harassing ducklings? Also, would you recommend separating the other birds from the brooding hen so that they don't harass her while she's on the nest, especially the male muscovy? Any advice for my first duckling hatching experience would be greatly appreciated!

I also have a mixed flock. I did lose one very young muscovy duckling, I think it was trampled by other ducks. But now the mom keeps her one duckling close by, and warns off any other birds that she thinks are too close. She is a first time mom. I also took her first three ducklings, and am raising them in a flock of mallard-derived. I imagine when they are older they will hang with the other Muscovy. In general, in my flock, the Muscovy rule, and look down their beaks at mallard derived ducks. Muscovy play in water first, and generally will chase off a much larger number of mallards.

Back
Top Bottom