Raising Ducks in NC: Pet, Eggs, Quiet

Chris100

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2017
Hello,

I've been raising chickens for several months and have loved it. I live in the Raleigh, NC area, more specifically Cary, if you are familiar with the area. I don't live on a ton of land (only about a quarter acre), but have a good space for the chickens out back. I've been thinking of adding two ducks to the mix, but I am cautious about doing so for several reasons.
For one, I have heard they can be quite noisy. I seem to get conflicting information depending on where I look. I don't want to become a rude neighbor, so noisy ducks would be a bad thing. A little noise is fine, but I wouldn't want any ducks that make an excessive amount of noise during the night.
Additionally, I'd like birds that I can let run around my yard when my dogs aren't there, but that I can herd back into their designated area when it's time. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get near them without them running off.
Thirdly, I'd prefer a breed that will give me decent egg production, though, this is less important than one that isn't overly noisy and is survivable in NC.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi there, I am a new duck mom. I live in suburbia and have 2 Swedish ducks, male and female. I’ve found that they were loud (the female was anyway) for about a month. I think it’s a teenager thing because she outgrew it and although they quack a bit, they’re less noisy than the average dog.
As for herding and such, they are prey animals and will move away from you as you approach. This makes them pretty easy to herd, although you have to teach them the routine. I duck walk and say duck duck duck to them. My ducks like being with me and when I’m in the yard they are usually close by. They were snuggle babies until they were about 5 months, then a month or so of teenager antics, then settled and sweet.
Males are tons quieter than females lol and it seems that more females to males is a good ratio. My Swedish duck lays an egg a day for 2 weeks, skips a day, then starts the cycle over.
I’ve found that ducks are smart and sweet, with defined personalities and cute habits. Just like with any animal, the more you handle them and spend time with them the more they want to be with you.

Not too familiar with the area but I was also in a neighborhood and worried about noise! I have a Blue Swedish and Cayuga, both girls. I get an egg a day from each, my Swedish took about a month off but it laying again! My Cayuga lays larger eggs and seems to be more consistent. Both ducks we raised from three day old ducklings, so they are very friendly to us; follow us around, approach the fence when they see us, don’t mind being handled/herded, etc.. My ducks were also raised inside with my dogs for three months so they get along great! But I wouldn’t recommend that- I have very docile and trained dogs. Although when my girls were being transitioned to staying outside full time they did quack during the day, but never at night. We had to “teach” them it was okay for us to not be with them outside... that’s a whole other story! But anyways, once the ducks are cooped up for the night they stay quiet.

Ducks are messy though! Be prepared for mud. And they need water- but a kiddie pool will suffice. Will you have enough room to keep the ducks and chickens separate?

Hello,

I've been raising chickens for several months and have loved it. I live in the Raleigh, NC area, more specifically Cary, if you are familiar with the area. I don't live on a ton of land (only about a quarter acre), but have a good space for the chickens out back. I've been thinking of adding two ducks to the mix, but I am cautious about doing so for several reasons.
For one, I have heard they can be quite noisy. I seem to get conflicting information depending on where I look. I don't want to become a rude neighbor, so noisy ducks would be a bad thing. A little noise is fine, but I wouldn't want any ducks that make an excessive amount of noise during the night.
Additionally, I'd like birds that I can let run around my yard when my dogs aren't there, but that I can herd back into their designated area when it's time. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get near them without them running off.
Thirdly, I'd prefer a breed that will give me decent egg production, though, this is less important than one that isn't overly noisy and is survivable in NC.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Hi Chris. I just read your post and wondered if you ever got your ducks. We rescued two Cayuga ducks that had been dumped in the retention pond behind our house in Cary last June, only to find that the Town of Cary only allows 5 backyard chickens, and expressly prohibits ducks.

But we've found that Cayugas are ideal backyard ducks- I've read that they are quieter than most, and they can take the cold and the heat better than a lot of duck breeds as well. I can hear the chickens that belong to someone who lives along the greenway by our house, and the chickens make way more noise than our ducks (one male, one female.)

Apex allows ducks and has no limits on the number, and I can literally almost throw a rock and hit Apex from my backyard. I am so upset....

I was wondering if you might have any interest as we embark on our effort (that basically started today) to try to get Cary to change the ordinance to allow two ducks to fill two slots out of the 5 permitted chickens. We are trying to meet with our Cary town council person soon.

I am heartbroken at the thought of having to rehome my ducks. I'd move now if I could, but I can't leave here for a year. I guess I'll have to find a temporary home for them until I can leave unless I can get permission to keep my beautiful ducks. So my next post might be looking for someone in Apex who can host my ducks until I can move, sadly. We've lived here for over 20 years, and are now ready to leave as we've outgrown our welcome.

Hi Chris. I just read your post and wondered if you ever got your ducks. We rescued two Cayuga ducks that had been dumped in the retention pond behind our house in Cary last June, only to find that the Town of Cary only allows 5 backyard chickens, and expressly prohibits ducks.

But we've found that Cayugas are ideal backyard ducks- I've read that they are quieter than most, and they can take the cold and the heat better than a lot of duck breeds as well. I can hear the chickens that belong to someone who lives along the greenway by our house, and the chickens make way more noise than our ducks (one male, one female.)

Apex allows ducks and has no limits on the number, and I can literally almost throw a rock and hit Apex from my backyard. I am so upset....

I was wondering if you might have any interest as we embark on our effort (that basically started today) to try to get Cary to change the ordinance to allow two ducks to fill two slots out of the 5 permitted chickens. We are trying to meet with our Cary town council person soon.

I am heartbroken at the thought of having to rehome my ducks. I'd move now if I could, but I can't leave here for a year. I guess I'll have to find a temporary home for them until I can leave unless I can get permission to keep my beautiful ducks. So my next post might be looking for someone in Apex who can host my ducks until I can move, sadly. We've lived here for over 20 years, and are now ready to leave as we've outgrown our welcome.

Sorry, you are having problems, I know a lot of people here would gladly take your ducks temporarily until you find an area better suited for ducks. Fill free to post in the Rehoming section and explain your situation. Best of luck to you!

Im also wondering about Ducks in Cary. Where do you see that ducks are prohibited? If they are how can we change this? I’m willing to help!

Im also wondering about Ducks in Cary. Where do you see that ducks are prohibited? If they are how can we change this? I’m willing to help!

Thanks for your offer to help! We have been put on the schedule to meet with our town council representative as a first step. We will present our case and see if they would even entertain introducing an amendment to the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances and Land Development. After that, I will post here what we need to do to try to make this change happen. I think it might involve getting signatures on a petition and getting a list of towns where this type of arrangement is allowed and details about how it works there. Apex is a perfect example- their code allows domestic fowl of any kind except roosters, not to exceed 10, after which you need a permit.

Here is the quote from the code: Section 6-62.(b) Livestock and domestic fowl prohibited. Livestock and domestic fowl of all descriptions are prohibited within the corporate limits of the town except: as expressly permitted as an accessory use in the Land Development Ordinance, Appendix A of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances.

Appendix A says:
The maximum number of female chickens (hens) allowed is five (5) per lot. No roosters are permitted.

And the animal control officer said no other type of poultry except hens are allowed.

So, when the ducks were dumped in the pond behind our house, there were 6 of them. The next morning, only two were left, cowering under a bush in our backyard. They were so scared. We are pretty sure that the other 4 were eaten by the foxes that live by this pond.
So we are going to try to go the legal route while also trying to find a temporary or permanent home for then.

So far, our rehoming options are not great- a friend in VA can keep them on a lake with 4 other pekins and no shelter, a friend in Apex can keep them with chickens who pecked the eyes out of a duck he used to have, and also an owl ate his other duck due to no shelter, and another friend can possibly keep them in Asheville. So really only one possible option so far. We don't want to send them to a sanctuary as we will take them back when we relocate if the person hosting them doesn't want to keep them.

So if anybody can take 2 cayugas, let us know!!

Back
Top Bottom