Raising Mallard Ducklings

Wow, I am awed at how many responses I have already gotten. Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out, I can't express my gratitude enough.
My local feed store is about 40 mins outside of the city but I will go there as soon as I am out of work tomorrow for the Flock Raiser and grit. There is another feed store I know of about a little more than an hour from here I can try too. I will absolutely take these recommendations seriously, I had a feeling he had some kind of nutrient deficiency but I had no idea what sorts (although the thought of my little guy having a liver shunt had me very flustered and upset and i might have hyper-focused on that fear lol).
Unfortunately I cannot legally keep livestock or poultry in my county and while I have a yard I don't feel as though I would have an adequate amount of space for him to be happy, nor do I have space for more chick or duck friends for him so I am absolutely working on a solution for that. I did plan on keeping him until he had adult feathers and I was certain he was "out of the woods". So:
In terms of the pee pads I figured I would need to get rid of them soon. I've seen enough dogs with forgein bodies from eating pee pads and assumed a duck would probably tear them up all the same! I am struggling a little bit though, he is mostly confined to my bedroom/bathroom as I have two cats and a dog. Thankfully 2/3 of my fur children act like he doesn't exist (he is never unsupervised around them though!) but I do not trust my calico for the life of me. The situation is getting s littlechaotic because there are shavings everywhere and I can hardly access my toilet because of all my duck gear.
I do have both a basment and very small garage area, though which I've considered setting him up in for a more permanent living quarter. I live in a three family home on the second floor however and don't love the idea of not being able to watch him 24/7 (helicopter mom). I previously owned a six foot boa constrictor and have a large terrarium I thought he could hang out in but it is glass. Any thoughts for this?

Wow, I am awed at how many responses I have already gotten. Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out, I can't express my gratitude enough.
My local feed store is about 40 mins outside of the city but I will go there as soon as I am out of work tomorrow for the Flock Raiser and grit. There is another feed store I know of about a little more than an hour from here I can try too. I will absolutely take these recommendations seriously, I had a feeling he had some kind of nutrient deficiency but I had no idea what sorts (although the thought of my little guy having a liver shunt had me very flustered and upset and i might have hyper-focused on that fear lol).
Unfortunately I cannot legally keep livestock or poultry in my county and while I have a yard I don't feel as though I would have an adequate amount of space for him to be happy, nor do I have space for more chick or duck friends for him so I am absolutely working on a solution for that. I did plan on keeping him until he had adult feathers and I was certain he was "out of the woods". So:
In terms of the pee pads I figured I would need to get rid of them soon. I've seen enough dogs with forgein bodies from eating pee pads and assumed a duck would probably tear them up all the same! I am struggling a little bit though, he is mostly confined to my bedroom/bathroom as I have two cats and a dog. Thankfully 2/3 of my fur children act like he doesn't exist (he is never unsupervised around them though!) but I do not trust my calico for the life of me. The situation is getting s littlechaotic because there are shavings everywhere and I can hardly access my toilet because of all my duck gear.
I do have both a basment and very small garage area, though which I've considered setting him up in for a more permanent living quarter. I live in a three family home on the second floor however and don't love the idea of not being able to watch him 24/7 (helicopter mom). I previously owned a six foot boa constrictor and have a large terrarium I thought he could hang out in but it is glass. Any thoughts for this?
I think the terrarium would be alright but pretty hard to clean out and the cleaning will soon become every day probably twice a day. . I know how heavy my fish tanks were.
It might be easier on you to just pick up a clear Rubbermaid tote and fix a screen on top.

Liv, call them first and make sure they have Purina Flock Rasier crumbles in stock before making the drive... you can ask about Nutridrench at the same time, grit they should have and if not clean, coarse sand will work...

I think the terrarium will work just fine, a 6ft boa means it should be a good size, yes? Just watch the temp and humidity inside it (bet you might still have a thermometer/hygrometer, maybe?)...

And you are doing awesome!!!! :hugs

IMG_20170521_010012_hdr.jpg

I think the terrarium would be alright but pretty hard to clean out and the cleaning will soon become every day probably twice a day. . I know how heavy my fish tanks were.
It might be easier on you to just pick up a clear Rubbermaid tote and fix a screen on top.
I was shocked how they can jump! :eek: :lau In my case it barely out of the shell.
I would never have guessed ducks could jump like that.

Ducks are the messiest bird I've ever owned...lol.
But then they give you that cute one-eye and it's all worth it.:love

I used the puppy pads underneath shavings for a good long while before they figured out it was even there. But mine are calls so tiny beaks. . a mallard may be more aggressive at tearing stuff up I don't know. Sure made clean up much easier and helped keep them dry.

You are all truly so wonderful! Thanks for all the kind words!
The tank is 100gal, he was a very big boy. :lol: I may still have a heat lamp as well if that is more appropriate than the hot water bottles. Ideal temp and humidity? I have a lot of quality control equipment from my snake as well as for my axolotl tank, but I do not have a humidifier anymore. would purchasing one be a good idea? Its been pretty hot and humid here the past week or so but today the temp dropped to a raw 65*f.
I have to say, I'm a city mouse it has always been my dream to settle down on a nice piece of property and have a mini farm. I was an FFA member for a long time, involved in AQHA and 4H but am just not at the point of my life yet where I can change to a more rural location. I have always, always told my partner, though, that when we move I NEED chickens. This whole experience has made me change my mind--now I NEED ducks in my life. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom