Raising meat ducks

crissycriss

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Heflin Alabama
Hello, This is my first time raising ducks for meat. I have muscovy ducks out of the 46 babies that hatched i'd like to keep 6 ducks and a drake. If i keep a drake will keeping the biggest mean that his babies will also be big? Since i'm raising for meat can brother sister breed and have babies? If they do will it affect meat? What are somethings to look for in deciding which ones to keep for future breeders other than looks? THANKS and sorry for the dumb questions.

I would keep two drakes myself in case something happens to one. Yes keeping the biggest ducks will increase the size of your flock over time but only to a point, Also, setting the biggest eggs will produce larger ducklings. Moscovies live and are productive for a long time so you can keep your breeders now and process all the offspring for years. Breeding to brother/sister won't be a problem for awhile as long as you bring in new blood every few years. The drakes you want to keep for breeders should be the biggest and the ones that fill out the fastest, for hens we like to keep the best sitters and mothers.

Thank you so much for your reply and great advice!!! I am going to keep it all in mind. I do know there is diffently one i want to keep of the ducks she is just so beautiful. Lol! Thanks again for such great advice!

Back
Top Bottom