Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
I had a first time mother pull fur and build a nest and only had three, but they all lived.

Both of my first time mothers used the nest box, I was lucky.

I built my best boxes using the design I found at azrabbits. Simple wood affair with hardware cloth on y the bottom. I didn't like the looks of the metal ones.

I have 14 day old Californian bunnies, this is my first litter. None of them have their eyes open yet. I'm getting different reports on the internet about when they should open. I thought it was 10-12 days but some people say 2-3 weeks. When have your kits opened their eyes? I think I'm going to bring them in the house and wipe their eyes with a warm washcloth so I can get an idea about what's going on. Starting to get worried. I did change their nest box material, but I did that on day 11, did I wait to long?

They will open soon enough but look to see if they have swollen or sticky eyes if so they may have what I call is pee eye. If they do they will need attention.

I have a couple questions. The red doe that I bought was mated prior to me buying her, so hopefully she should be pregnant. She should at least be 1/2 way through the pregnancy if not more.

I put a nest box in the red does cage and she uses it as a bathroom! She also likes to perch and hang out on the top of the nest box.

When I put the nest box in it was full of hay. She took it out and did the little hay mustache spreading it around her cage and built a small little nest in her cage.

I found A little kit in her cage, but since I found it the day after Izzy gave birth I figured it was just one of Izzy's (she gave birth on wire and I found them crawling all over the garage).

What do ya'll think? Is she pregnant, if so when will she give birth?

She is 1.5 years old and has given birth a couple times, I was told she is a good mother and had big litters, so like I said I can't imagine the 1 kit was hers nor that she had more and ate them!

Anyway she is pregnant yeah? Any idea when she would be due with her nesting behavior?

Anything special about raising Florida White rabbits?
Thanks,
Karen
Not that I'm aware of, but I raise NZs.
smile.png

I have a couple questions. The red doe that I bought was mated prior to me buying her, so hopefully she should be pregnant. She should at least be 1/2 way through the pregnancy if not more.

I put a nest box in the red does cage and she uses it as a bathroom! She also likes to perch and hang out on the top of the nest box.

When I put the nest box in it was full of hay. She took it out and did the little hay mustache spreading it around her cage and built a small little nest in her cage.

I found A little kit in her cage, but since I found it the day after Izzy gave birth I figured it was just one of Izzy's (she gave birth on wire and I found them crawling all over the garage).

What do ya'll think? Is she pregnant, if so when will she give birth?

She is 1.5 years old and has given birth a couple times, I was told she is a good mother and had big litters, so like I said I can't imagine the 1 kit was hers nor that she had more and ate them!

Anyway she is pregnant yeah? Any idea when she would be due with her nesting behavior?
Did you get the date she was supposed to be bred? Like RedRidge said, 2-3 days before the due date is when the nest box should ideally be added. If you don't know when she'll be due, count 31 days from the day you got her and if she doesn't kindle by then, I would get her bred.
Nesting behavior can easily happen 2 weeks before or the day of, it's impossible to say for certain as it varies from doe to doe.
If you really don't know when she's due and want to keep the nest box with her for safety, you will have to clean it out at least once a day.

I'm thinking of removing it, but she likes it for her enjoyment. I don't really expect that she will use it to give birth in given the fact she keeps taking the nesting material out of the box and spreading it.

Oh and the guy I got her from didn't say the exact time she was bred, but he kept the doe and buck together so who knows when.

The rabbit I found in with the other doe just died. The littermates and mama rejected him, I found him cold in a corner revived him and put the mama on the box... he didn't eat. I tried to place him on her but he was cold again so I warmed him up and placed him in warm water... not sure if I accidently drowned him or if he got shock or something but I won't be trying the water method again. I'm pretty sad because I was really trying to get him to live.. so down to 5 from 7.

Don't feel that bad sometimes the mom knows the baby has a defect or won't make it and rejects it to focus on the healthy ones..
hugs.gif
you tried to help all you could do

Back
Top Bottom