Raising Muscovy (newb questions)

TabbiMae

Chirping
Jul 13, 2018
So I got 7 new babies yesterday! We are really excited, the person we got them from said 2 were boys, 1 she was unsure of, and the other 4 are girls. We plan on only keeping 4 of these babies and processing the rest.

If feeding standard chick starter, around when did they reach 2-3lbs dressed?

If I wanted to caponize, is there any easier way to check and be sure rather than just cutting them open to look for the goods?

Thabks!

Hi! First things first, good luck and welcome to the mute duck club! About the feed, I gave them 20% broiler and free range on my property. Second, caponizing isn't really necessary here since they grow so fast, you can get a 2 to 3 pound drakeling carcass at 8 weeks of age. By that time you will know by size the sex of each one. Again, good luck!

Following! We had 20 muscovy ducks, have processed and eaten one so far. Delicious.

I'm unsure of their ages, I do have some good guesses though. I think the duck (female) we processed was 10-12 weeks old and dressed was 4lbs.

I'm also only keeping 4 of them. I haven't picked out who yet.

Following! We had 20 muscovy ducks, have processed and eaten one so far. Delicious.

I'm unsure of their ages, I do have some good guesses though. I think the duck (female) we processed was 10-12 weeks old and dressed was 4lbs.

I'm also only keeping 4 of them. I haven't picked out who yet.
How did you prepare the duck? Thinking maybe a duck alfredo to start with, or maybe breaded tenders.

Hi! First things first, good luck and welcome to the mute duck club! About the feed, I gave them 20% broiler and free range on my property. Second, caponizing isn't really necessary here since they grow so fast, you can get a 2 to 3 pound drakeling carcass at 8 weeks of age. By that time you will know by size the sex of each one. Again, good luck!
When did you start giving broiler? From hatch to hatchet? Or after they were feathered out? Do you add niacin or does it not matter since they won't need legs for long?

I fed broiler since I got them and now that they are free to forage I use 16% all flock. I haven't had any problems with niacin deficiency so far. Brewers yeast is insanely expensive here and our mills typically add it to most of the foods.

Back
Top Bottom