Raising our 1st set of CX meaties

UH, what is it?
hide.gif

gig.gif
Looks like what my old gyno used for pap smears.....ouch.
smack.gif

Lost a grown CX from an winged predator yesterday, found it in the bayou this morning alive, she died a few hours later and now I have another one missing :/
Ug. Locking down all the birds today early I have to go to work.

Last edited:
Since you are raising birds for others, Be prepared for someone to come at you with this.... I just now threw out an entire chicken because it thought it had an infection or something.

Actually it is becoming quite normal... Especially in pasture raised birds, because they move their wings and burst blood vessels in the tenderloin and the tenderloin muscle dies. It was right along the breast bone...

This link has good info

http://www.wattagnet.com/21558.html

And the good part of the meat is edible. Like this part!

Last edited:
That occurs most in birds that are raised in pens or tractors because they never use their wings for anything and then, when they are transported for processing they are startled and flap their wings, causing strain on little used muscles. The result is muscles that swell inside of tight fascia, causing compartment syndrome. It can happen pretty quickly after that as the tight fascia and swelling of the muscles cut off circulation to the cells and the meat starts to die. All of that is highly preventable.

Birds that are free ranged on pasture do not have that issue as they are constantly using their wings to run from one place to another and building the muscles in that area, creating a thinner, more supple fascia and well developed muscle tissue. Using methods that give your CX more room for normal exercise and then encouraging the exercise, while also slowing growth by restricting feed, can prevent most of the issues that are common with this type of bird such as leg and joint issues, gangrene on the breast and tips of the wings, heart failure, ascites, heat stress, etc.

Well, I free range and restrict food which keeps growth rate steady for them. So reading this makes me feel better :)

" Most muscles have room to expand so an increase in size does not impair function. However, because broiler tenders lie in rigid compartments, bordered by the sternum, keel and an inelastic fascia, they cannot expand during activity. Therefore, muscle swelling impairs blood flow due to an increase in intramuscular pressure (it “strangulates” itself) and ischemia rapidly develops."

And this,
" Over the last decade, research at Auburn University has monitored the occurrence of DPM through broiler growth and yield studies with commercially available strains of broilers. In these studies, spontaneously occurring DPM varied from 3% to 17%, seemed to be higher in broilers with greater growth rates, decreased in warmer weather, and was more common in males than females."

I'm in Louisiana (warm weather), raise pullets for meat! Yay! I think my set up will help keep this from occurring :)
I'll keep an eye out so if it ever appeared I wouldn't freak out tho (too much lol)

Since you are raising birds for others, Be prepared for someone to come at you with this.... I just now threw out an entire chicken because it thought it had an infection or something.

Actually it is becoming quite normal... Especially in pasture raised birds, because they move their wings and burst blood vessels in the tenderloin and the tenderloin muscle dies. It was right along the breast bone...

This link has good info

http://www.wattagnet.com/21558.html

And the good part of the meat is edible. Like this part!

Back
Top Bottom