Raising Quail Outside

TheMartianChick

Songster
14 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Mars... I mean Central NY
I know that many people here raise quail outside in cages. My question is: Do you have problems with predators like raccoons? Do other people's dogs often bother your birds?

I live in a city, but I have a large dog pen in my backyard. It is currently unoccupied, but I am wondering if I could move my quail cages in there. I could snap a lock on the gate to make it less likely that someone would be able to slip a dog inside. It doesn't have wire over the top, so I am a bit concerned about raccoons because they definitely lurk in the city.

that sounds like a good setup. I'd make sure the cages aren't within a 'coon's arm length so they can strangle/pull through a bird. And wire across the top is pretty cheap. So is an electric fence charger and galv. wire
smile.png

Unfortunately, an electric fence is illegal in my city (or I'd do it!). The dog pen is made of chain link, but the quail cages are made of welded wire/hardware cloth that is 1/2" x 1/2" and 1/4" x 1/4" on the bottom. I think that the hardware cloth would solve the problem of raccoons being able to reach in.

Quote:
Oh, yeah, you are safe!!!! Most don't use 1/2 x 1/2, so you could just about put your cages anywhere!

I have my quails in cages inside a fence and it works very well. sometimes hawks harrass them but other than that my birds so far are safe
fl.gif
we are going to be putting up electric though here eventually as some neighbors dont understand the meaning of keeping your dogs in your own yard..
roll.png

you'd never have to worry about my dogs, Jason's chickens chase them and they run for momma ....
lau.gif
(they're chihuahua and chihuahua/yorkie)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom