Raising quails indoors

rag1201

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2020
I would want your opinion on raising quail in my room. I plan to raise 3 hens mainly for egg laying purposes and these will be kept in my room. I currently have a 3.75 sqft cage.
I'd like to know on the below.
Does raising quails indoors affect their egg laying mechanism in any way?
Do they need natural sunlight or does 14-15 hours of artificial light suffice?
How often do I need to clean the wood shavings that collect their poop?
Is the smell manageable or does it get too overwhelming for other in the house?

I would want your opinion on raising quail in my room. I plan to raise 3 hens mainly for egg laying purposes and these will be kept in my room. I currently have a 3.75 sqft cage.
I'd like to know on the below.
Does raising quails indoors affect their egg laying mechanism in any way?
Do they need natural sunlight or does 14-15 hours of artificial light suffice?
How often do I need to clean the wood shavings that collect their poop?
Is the smell manageable or does it get too overwhelming for other in the house?
You don't want to raise quail in your room. even three. they'll need a sand bath and it will get dusty. They can go with artificial light, but they would like sunlight. If you do keep them in your room, you should change it at the most of once a week.
Edit: The females might make quite a lot of noise too.

I had only had adult quail indoors for a short while before I acclimated them to my outside group. Their poop smells and you'd have to clean more often than a fishtank! they have a lot do dust/dander and tend to make a mess with their food although there's no-spill feeders :) they also need water changed daily/often and I find it much easier to do that outside where I can spill water as opposed to inside where it can be messy :'( why do you want them inside? : D

I had only had adult quail indoors for a short while before I acclimated them to my outside group. Their poop smells and you'd have to clean more often than a fishtank! they have a lot do dust/dander and tend to make a mess with their food although there's no-spill feeders :) they also need water changed daily/often and I find it much easier to do that outside where I can spill water as opposed to inside where it can be messy :'( why do you want them inside? : D
Oh well.. Don't have much place outside :(

You don't want to raise quail in your room. even three. they'll need a sand bath and it will get dusty. They can go with artificial light, but they would like sunlight. If you do keep them in your room, you should change it at the most of once a week.
Edit: The females might make quite a lot of noise too.
The females make noise? I always thought it was the male.

Back
Top Bottom