Raising quails indoors

can you show me the feeder that you have i i might be inturested in using that type
Sure! This is the feeder I use. I literally bought it full of bird seed for like $5 from a tractor store. I just put it outside for a week and let the wild birds eat the seeds and then, ready to use for my birds. It has little retractable feet to make it more stable for sitting on a surface. The birds do knock it over when it is almost empty but other than that it stays put. This is my water set up too. The reservoir is outside the cage so doesnt take up room inside the cage.

Attachments

• 20200731_093229.jpg
    20200731_093229.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200731_093255.jpg
    20200731_093255.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 29
Sure! This is the feeder I use. I literally bought it full of bird seed for like $5 from a tractor store. I just put it outside for a week and let the wild birds eat the seeds and then, ready to use for my birds. It has little retractable feet to make it more stable for sitting on a surface. The birds do knock it over when it is almost empty but other than that it stays put. This is my water set up too. The reservoir is outside the cage so doesnt take up room inside the cage.

I should add, I have to watch what kind of feed I put in this feeder. It works best with crumbles. A fine meal will clog the feeder and not come out well on it's own.

ya i just use crumbles for my birds occasionally i will put cucumber or some other stuff in there to let them eat. when i clean the sand i will toss some seed, worms in the sands and watch them hunt for the treats. i do need to get them some more rocks so they can break down seeds and insects.

In college I had 5-6 quail in my room at home. I’d go home once a week and clean the cage out and my mom got to enjoy the birds. Never had issue w/ the smell. Mom left the rat cage open one day and well, no more quail. My boyfriend and I just hatched 19 quail in November. They are adorable, but stinky! 🤢 They are in the living room, but I am moving them to the basement today. My boyfriend doesn’t think the smell is that bad, but he was a teenage boy once so his idea of stinky is skewed. Quail funk doesn’t smell as bad teenage boy funk (especially football player funk), but you can’t just demand the quail take a shower 🤣

I would want your opinion on raising quail in my room. I plan to raise 3 hens mainly for egg laying purposes and these will be kept in my room. I currently have a 3.75 sqft cage.
I'd like to know on the below.
Does raising quails indoors affect their egg laying mechanism in any way?
Do they need natural sunlight or does 14-15 hours of artificial light suffice?
How often do I need to clean the wood shavings that collect their poop?
Is the smell manageable or does it get too overwhelming for other in the house?
They do great.just keep clean.Spray a 50/50 water/apple cider vinegar on tray.1 egg a day.keep some.light on in winter.

Iv got a pair living in my room for the past two month. Not really noisy. The male with crow once in a while. And the female will call while laying but they overall seem to handle It fine. I'm keeping the in a 42in diameter round cloth puppy pen. The ones with the mesh side and top? They seem to be ok. Girl lays everyday. The male will fluff and strut for her.

they are birds and should be kept outdoors as it's not healthy at all for us..they are meant to be kept outdoors but make sure they have shelter good food and enough space👍🏻

I don’t want to be snippy, but yikes. You shouldn’t put birds outside simply because they are birds. Please don’t put parakeets, parrots, canaries, etc. outside just because they are birds. They would NOT survive the winter in most of the US’ USDA zones.
As for keeping quail indoors vs outdoors like with any animal, if you have many of them then keeping them indoors may no longer be sanitary for anyone (for example: cats). There’s no objective answer here.

I started like the photo , keeping them inside, on my kitchen table. I don't recommend shavings. they smell no matter what. I used to cover the cage with that thin plastic they use to cover the furniture when they paint, and cutting a piece to the size of the cage for underneath. That kept the dust in, and I was changing the underneath sheet every 2 days. I was washing the bottom of the cage every morning with green soap and vinegar. That's fine when you don't work ( quarantine). But you will deal with problems you can't imagine now. You will need extra cages to separate them ( my 3 females turned out to be 2 males and a hen😂). I wanted them to be happy so I used a diy sand box that kept the dirt but eventually you can't contain the dust. And most cages are not made of galvanized steel which is important to keep the cage clean. Now I keep them at the balcony. A lot less work. Clean cage. I bribbe my neighbor with eggs so she won't mind a few morning sounds. Only diy solutions worked for me. I made the cage high with 2 levels for example. I prefer buckets for feeders so they won't waste food. Im planning something like a run for this summer to keep them happy. before, I was letting them take a walk between cages on the table, or the kitchen floor every now and then. that was fun 😅. I like this cage , very much but I wouldn't use wood if I could. If you do, put the mesh from inside. Difficult but cleaner.
httpss://youtu.be/JszVHyXAEjQ (The small two-bucket diy cage on one side was to transport 2 new chicks. Not permanent of course)

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_171046.jpg
    IMG_20200613_171046.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom