Raising roosters for meat

do you raise the extra roosters that your going to eat, with your hens or in a seporate pen.

I hatch my own eggs, sometimes with an incubator and sometimes with broody hens. The broody hens hatch and raise their chicks with the flock. My brooder is in the coop so those chicks grow up with the flock too. Depending on how crowded it is in the main coop the brooder raised chicks might range with the rest of the flock at 5 weeks or I might move them to my grow-out coop. These are typically ranging with the rest of the flock at 8 weeks after they have learned where to sleep.

My flock consists of a mature rooster, some mature hens, and maybe as many as four or five different broods of mixed pullets and cockerels growing to butcher size. Most years they all stay together until I butcher the cockerels at 16 to 23 weeks of age. About once every three or four years the boys get so rowdy that I lock some back in that grow-out pen until I butcher them. I don't follow rigorous rules but play it by ear and go by what I see.

Also what do you feed the roosters?

All my chickens eat the same thing, no special diets for any of them. When I have young chicks I usually get a bag of Chick Starter, they all get that. After that they all eat Grower. I offer oyster shell on the side for hens laying eggs. They seem to know they need it.

I have an area inside electric netting, it stays green in growing season. They forage out there a lot. They get kitchen scraps and a lot of garden excess and waste. They also get excess fruits and berries. My cockerels eat the same as all the other chickens. That suits my goals, set-up, and how I want to manage them. Ohers do it totally differently for their own reasons.

do you raise the extra roosters that your going to eat, with your hens or in a seporate pen.

I hatch my own eggs, sometimes with an incubator and sometimes with broody hens. The broody hens hatch and raise their chicks with the flock. My brooder is in the coop so those chicks grow up with the flock too. Depending on how crowded it is in the main coop the brooder raised chicks might range with the rest of the flock at 5 weeks or I might move them to my grow-out coop. These are typically ranging with the rest of the flock at 8 weeks after they have learned where to sleep.

My flock consists of a mature rooster, some mature hens, and maybe as many as four or five different broods of mixed pullets and cockerels growing to butcher size. Most years they all stay together until I butcher the cockerels at 16 to 23 weeks of age. About once every three or four years the boys get so rowdy that I lock some back in that grow-out pen until I butcher them. I don't follow rigorous rules but play it by ear and go by what I see.

Also what do you feed the roosters?

All my chickens eat the same thing, no special diets for any of them. When I have young chicks I usually get a bag of Chick Starter, they all get that. After that they all eat Grower. I offer oyster shell on the side for hens laying eggs. They seem to know they need it.

I have an area inside electric netting, it stays green in growing season. They forage out there a lot. They get kitchen scraps and a lot of garden excess and waste. They also get excess fruits and berries. My cockerels eat the same as all the other chickens. That suits my goals, set-up, and how I want to manage them. Ohers do it totally differently for their own reasons.
Thankyou so much, sound like you have a really good setup 😁👍

I was putting the cockerels in a grow out pen, but ended up using it as a breeding pen. Now I leave them out with the coop their broody is in. I harvest most before they are roosters... around 16 weeks I start harvesting.... depends if they are problem boys or potential breeder.

Last edited:
I generally butcher every other Thursday morning, so Sunday Dinner has time to rest and let rigor pass. Anyone looking a bit off, or irritating me is dealt with quickly.

Dealing with a few is easier on these old hands then saving them up and doing huge numbers in one day.

The butcher station is tucked in a corner of the greenhouse, ready in the time it takes to fill the scalding and chill buckets.

The butcher station is two killing cones with feed bags beheath, Hooks for hanging/draining, propane tank and burner with pot, Chill pot, cleaning pot, tiny plastic collapsible TV table for working and a stool. Fits in a 3x8' space.

What age do you butcher your roosters. Ive asked this question before but thought i would ask again 😂
I process what I need for Sunday supper, and a couple more. Any injured or hostile, any looking like they are developing leg or heart problems, any not needed. If they are young, they are broilers, or single serve "cornish hens."

Some healthy Cornish Cross will make it to 15 pounds dressed, and cooked low and slow. Just because others reached an expiration date before them.

so not particular age. Just what is needed at the moment.

First thing, you have butcher them younger than you think. Second, you need to let them set in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. As Jan Croot wrote, wait to let rigor pass. So, the legs are easy to move.

We always used the slow roast, which is what you do with wild game. I put sliced potatoes and /or sliced carrots on the bottom of the roaster. Chicken on top. Put in water, to near the top of the vegetables, but not cover them. I put on broil, 450 F for a few minutes to crisp the skin, then cover and turn temp down to 225 to 250. How long depends on the size of the bird. Usually, if the potatoes are done, so is the chicken.

I keep mine in their flocks, which includes hens/pullets. I also eat hens/pullets that aren't the best behaved, or don't have certain traits I want for breeding.

Thankyou, do they get on fine keeping more than one rooster together?
Yes multiple roosters can get along fine. If you're going to have more than one you should have at least three and they must have room so they can keep some distance between each other. I have four roosters in one 50'x50' run and they may chase each other 10' or so just to show whose boss but they very rarely engage in a face to face fight.

Back
Top Bottom