Raising Swedish Hedemora on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia

The "Almost 2 Months" Update!

Well, we're almost at the two month mark and I think we finally have some answers on what sexes these little ones are. They have grown a lot in the last couple of weeks and are starting to look a bit more like chickens.

Chick #1 Lavender Wooly "Freki" (Pullet)

View attachment 2892455

Chick #2 Lavender Wooly "Geri" (Pullet?)

View attachment 2892456

Chick #3 White Wooly "Freya" (Pullet)

View attachment 2892453

Chick #4 White Wooly "Freyr" (Cockerel)

View attachment 2892451

Chick #5 Black/Grey Smooth "Frigga" (Cockerel)

View attachment 2892454

Chick #6 Brown Smooth "Thor" (Cockerel)

View attachment 2892452
Any more updates?

Any more updates?

They are all doing well - I will post updated photos next weekend as they’ve grown quite a bit (the weather hasn’t been very good so I’ve been a bit lax on the documenting and photo taking).

In the mean time, here are a couple photos from last weekend! Poor lighting, but it will give an idea of how much they have matured 🙂

69095592-33F1-4506-8947-4A12985A1FD9.jpeg
5ABAD0AA-6E2C-4D6B-91C8-3A6D7E21AB08.jpeg
E59C2273-E9B4-4FC1-A928-99E27A24403B.jpeg
1746275E-D963-44DA-8C25-7B8395E67377.jpeg

I'm interested in hearing how things are going! I may have an opportunity to get three pullet Hedemoras and am curious what you think of their personalities and how they are doing within your flock? I'm intrigued by them and their landrace status!

How do the smooth chicks look now?

Sorry! I have been off the forum for a while - busy working on the other side of the country.

They are growing well.

I don't have great updated photos - but these are cellphone photos that were taken about two weeks ago.

Here is the largest cockerel "Thor" (smooth) - the membrane cover is just over his eye as he was blinking, just for anyone wondering :) - with two of the pullets "Freki" and "Freya".

IMG_6069 2.jpg

Here is "Freyr"

IMG_6069.jpg

And here is "Freyr" and "Frigga", who I have yet to rename as it was a late developing cockerel.

IMG_6068.jpg

Excuse the dirty pen. This is the corner near the water that they love to mess up (and spend much of their time hanging out by!). The photos were taken right before a good clean out!

Last edited:
I'm interested in hearing how things are going! I may have an opportunity to get three pullet Hedemoras and am curious what you think of their personalities and how they are doing within your flock? I'm intrigued by them and their landrace status!

Well, the chicks are pretty delicate when they are young, but overall I like them. Very well natured and super quirky personalities (in a good way). I haven't introduced them to the rest of the flock yet as I was advised to do this sometime after they reached 5 months of age because of their smaller size - they are just getting there now, so anytime they will be ready!

I can't see them being an issue in terms of integration into the flock. I have two silkie hens already and they get along with everyone, so I figure the Hedemora will fit right in when the time comes. They have lots of room in the coop and run to get away from the others if they need to. Very neat birds, but definitely different. They even sound quite different than the other chickens I've raised!

Well, the chicks are pretty delicate when they are young, but overall I like them. Very well natured and super quirky personalities (in a good way). I haven't introduced them to the rest of the flock yet as I was advised to do this sometime after they reached 5 months of age because of their smaller size - they are just getting there now, so anytime they will be ready!

I can't see them being an issue in terms of integration into the flock. I have two silkie hens already and they get along with everyone, so I figure the Hedemora will fit right in when the time comes. They have lots of room in the coop and run to get away from the others if they need to. Very neat birds, but definitely different. They even sound quite different than the other chickens I've raised!
Oh good, they sound like fun chickens. Are they bantams? Or just smaller large fowl? I know they have Silkie in them, but was hoping they were a bit bigger than a Silkie? I am going to buy one from someone tomorrow and I am excited! :)

Back
Top Bottom