Raising them as truly free how many hours would momma have them in the water?

Flaca77

Chirping
Jun 26, 2021
I used to have 30 healthy, traveling chickens until I had to leave my ex due to drunken beatings. He kept all of them took down their house and cage. Last I knew only 1 was alive, all alone supposedly he left the property. Since I can't trust he actually left I can't get my last baby, it's been 3 weeks and kills me every day to think about monarch being out there totally alone. Even after a year of me being gone if he heard me over the phone he recognized my voice and started talking to me.
Sorry, anyways, my daughter got these guys about a month ago.
I treat them the same as I did mine.
They look to me as not a threat and I can tell them it's okay to the dogs, kids, and cat surprisingly. I'm outside or in and out all day and they'll come in my house at night just like mine did so I'm not worried about predators.
The pond will be sectioned off so they can't get to the entire thing but with plenty of room for antics and space to get away from each other. Approx 20'x20' of water(yes I promise there's water and normal wildlife under that green crap. I slacked cleaning it for a couple months) I'm going to use chain link so the fish and baby turtles can go through to promote a natural feeding environment. I want to keep them safe from the far and few between snakes I've seen but IDK how and still have fishes go in and out.
My question is: in the wild how long would they're momma have them in water? The brown ones have adult feathers on their bellies.
It's hot as crap here in FL. I stole the baby's pool for them and they spent 2 hours yesterday and don't look like they wanna get out today. Eventually they'll expect me to blow it back up and put more water in it. They'll have it until the kids whine enough for me to shoo them out, dragon and clean it for the kids to play. Right now the ducklings are thinking why hasn't she gotten that stuff she gave us yesterday (the small circle floaty things in the pond).
If I'm lucky they'll help keep the freaking pond clean. I'm tired of cleaning it. I don't wanna mow and rake the lawn I sure as &_"* don't like mowing and raking the pond.
16920201818193222811939092479749.jpg
16920202466077174068889638932397.jpg

u should buy a little plastic baby pool for the ducks!!! their talons can puncture the thin plastic of that pool and they can have their own pool. i dump out the water every night and refill my ducks pool every morning. im also located in florida and my pekins absolutely love their pool since it keeps them cold, they even sleep in it during the day
heres an image of the pool they use for a reference if you need it (+them all sleeping)
image000000.jpeg

Snapping turtles are one of the wosre predators for waterfowl if they don't eat the ducklings they will bite off feet and drown adults. So before letting them out on the pond make sure you don't have snappers. And you'll have to set out traps more than once because they will travel over land to get to water.

Your duckling are adorable.

u should buy a little plastic baby pool for the ducks!!! their talons can puncture the thin plastic of that pool and they can have their own pool. i dump out the water every night and refill my ducks pool every morning. im also located in florida and my pekins absolutely love their pool since it keeps them cold, they even sleep in it during the day
heres an image of the pool they use for a reference if you need it (+them all sleeping)View attachment 3609073
Good Lord I thought that was a giant ass snake going over your fence. Was ready to give up my dream of retiring to FL in a few years!

Good Lord I thought that was a giant ass snake going over your fence. Was ready to give up my dream of retiring to FL in a few years!
oh my god that would be terrifying 😭 thankfully i havent seen a snake that big here in florida so i think your plans are still good to go

heres an image of the pool they use for a reference if you need it (+them all sleeping)View attachment 3609073
Yeah, they started with 1 of those. When they couldn't zoom underwater they pretty much quit using it.
And the pool in the pic is already having issues from the autistic 3 year old boy and my dog. Well after 3 days I'm the big pool they answered my question. Lol apparently it's not hot enough for all of them to stay in the water. Surprised to see the way they are though, the black runner (can barely see her head) is usually accompanied by 1 of the brown ones.
IMG_20230816_094340_545.jpg

Yeah, they started with 1 of those. When they couldn't zoom underwater they pretty much quit using it.
And the pool in the pic is already having issues from the autistic 3 year old boy and my dog. Well after 3 days I'm the big pool they answered my question. Lol apparently it's not hot enough for all of them to stay in the water. Surprised to see the way they are though, the black runner (can barely see her head) is usually accompanied by 1 of the brown ones.View attachment 3610678
thats awesome! im glad theyre enjoying their water, mine rarely leave the pool because they love it so much. usually the only thing that gets them out is food and mud

your pond looks lovely
what kind of turtles are there?
Uh baby ones and middle ones and only 1 big guy (his shell had to be the size of a dinner plate or bigger). 😆 Okay IDK normal turtles except the big guy who I haven't seen in a long time, I think I was told he was a bottle nose.
Lots of minnow sized fish, tea cup sized fish and 2 dinner plate fish. A snake or so (that I bash so they learn to not come back(learned that surveying wetlands) and some baby snakes that everyone has said were the constrictor type. That's just in the area we own of the pond. God I hope they help keep it clean.
16921960749686438225351400559214.jpg

Back
Top Bottom