Raising Wood Ducks

I agree with Kacky. Unless you get pinioned wild type ducks so they cant fly they will come and go. However, the more attractive you make your place with feed and nesting sites the longer they will want to stay around and the likelyhood of them flying back to visit you over and over again when they do leave. Ducks remember where constant food, safety and good nesting sites are at.

Sorry I have not been posting pictures it has been rainy here a trio of wood ducks

Thanks again. We live near the mississippi river so i think they go there during the day and eat free all day and then roost on our pond at night. I guess there is no hope. The calls and muscovies will devour anything i put out instantly and the wild ducks never come close to our yards unless the oaks are dropping acorns.

The main thing is that without the Mazuri waterfowl starter and the advice from a friend in Connecticut on cabbage and water

Can you provide some details on "cabbage and water"? I have some woodies hatching in two weeks and I would love to be able to say "I don't lose them anymore."

Question- What part of the country do you live in? I have a pair of Wood Ducks that bred for me last year, but not this year. I am wondering what changed? Also, wondering if its too late in the year now for them to lay a clutch of eggs.

Thanks

Ed

Hi Ed I pmed ya back. But this is a classic example why we should all put what state or country we live in our avatar.(yourself included.)lol! That way I could have tried to help you even more

Last edited:
Hi
If you have a mixed variety in one enclosure surely you can't be sure the eggs are not crossed
I only have Cauga an Muscovy and the Cayuga boys are continually raping any girl they find
Is it not the same with other species
I ask as I am building a new pool pen for some for some Carolina and mandarins I have bought
Cheers

Wildfowl cannot be compared to domestic fowl. They seldom cross, although it does occur from time to time. The Woodies (Carolinas) and Mandarins will not cross (genetically incompatible).

You all are going to think I'm nuts....but here goes. We had a terrible storm last night. We found 5 very large eggs and a partial nest blown out of a very high tree. 2 of the eggs were crushed beyond help, one still with yolk. 1 is intact. 2 were cracked. We didn't know what they were and figured they were probably gone anyway so we peeled the shell from one of the eggs and the baby chick started to peep. It's a duck. My guess is a wood duck as I don't know of any species of duck that nests so high in a tree, but it's not in a hole in the tree and there's no water nearby. I've seen wood ducks in the area a few times trying to get into large knot holes in mature oaks but nothing in our yard. Here's my question....would the ducks survive if the shells are cracked or opened? Two of them you can see the chicks and they're breathing and peep once in awhile. The intact one looks like it's starting to hatch on it's own with a small area pushed out and starting to crack. I've not seen a hen anywhere nearby, a good portion of the nest is on the ground and the original nest is over 20' up the tree, no way we can get the eggs back in the nest. We've raised ducks/chickens before, but it's been a long time and these are wild. I would like to see if we can bring them into the world then release them if possible. I've seen what to feed wood duck chicks on this thread, but would love any advice I can get. We are prepared to lose them, but we want to try. See...nuts, but sincere. Thanks!

You mention very large eggs....sure they are not Canada geese?....they often use old raptor nests. I doubt they will survive if the eggs are cracked.

Clint

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom