Ramblings From Marlboro Country

donddon

Songster
Mar 1, 2020
Marlboro, NJ
Good day from Marlboro, NJ.
So much happens in the world of chicken keeping, that it would be a shame not to document some of it. I've always been an early riser, so the transition to farm life was an easy one for me. I'm always up before the chickens, and a lot goes on in the world in the pre-dawn hours.
4:48 AM, I bring my first cup onto the front porch and enjoy some crisp air. I actually needed to close windows last night. The waking birds begin their concert, softly but getting louder and louder as more join the chorus.
I wonder who will start the great debate this morning and soon I find out. COCKADOODLEDOO!!! I know that one day soon, cops, animal control, the sheriffs, neighbors and whoever else I missed will come down on us. Jeez, Big Red, it's barely 5 o'clock! So, in case I missed it, "COCKADOODLEDOO!!!" he repeats. GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE, and so the debate begins. The biggest tom turkey I've ever seen lives very nearby, and has come down from his roost. He wants Red to know he will not be getting in the last word.
This goes on for a good 20 minutes each day, weather permitting. I go back in for my second cup, shaking my head. I guess Red didn't get the message yesterday.
kS71IJrKQEW8prrcR0t0Bw.jpg

It is funny how interested they can be in BBQ chicken!

I had a hen jump into one like yours when I took the lid off. I pushed out fast enough that she did not get burned though

Today, 4:25 AM, I take my first coffee and tiptoe out onto the front porch. A nice clear morning, I gaze at the planet (Mars?) that appears to be inches from the moon. I breathe a sigh of relief. Sneaking out, quietly, stealthily, has paid off. Toby hasn't hear me. I go for a sip of coffee..."COCKADOODLEDOO!!!" I slink back into the house, effectively hiding my head in the sand. He's good for an hour of this nonsense. I just hide and drink more coffee.

6:25, I open the coop window facing the uphill neighbors. I know their house is some 150 yards from my coop, but Toby has one set of lungs. Pop door open and it's time to get busy. I uncover the 5 gallon double wall waterer and wash and refill. I grab the 3 port homemade hanging weatherproof feeder and head out. By the time I top off the feeder, all 13 birds are in the run. I seize the opportunity to clean out the nest boxes and put in new hay. A nice scrub on the ceramic dummy eggs and that's done.

On to the Guinea Fowl. They are still in their temporary home, a nice little TSC chicken coop. Top of the feed, scrub and refill the waterer, empty out and refill the grit feeder (they love grit), and dump 5 gallons of wood chips for their scratching pleasure.

Back to the chickens. Dump 11 gallons of wood chips, top off the grit, top off the oyster shell, and top off the galvanized feeder. WooHoo! I'm done in under an hour!

Back to the back porch, off with the boots, on with the crocs, peel off my first shirt of the day, towel off, and contemplate what kind of eggs I will enjoy this morning.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! I nearly forgot the 10 Light Brahmas in the basement brooder!

Last Sunday, one of my 22 week old Light Brahma chickens disappeared off the face of the earth. I know we have daytime predators such as foxes and hawks. The strange thing was that none of the other chickens or Guinea Fowl were freaked out as they normally would be after an attack. I posted to the local community pages on facebook and I scoured, in vain, our property and the whole neighborhood. On Saturday, in the back yard, I was talking about it with my neighbor. We agreed I would eventually have to let my chickens roam around the yard again. His dog was sniffing around a large flower pot, presumably looking for a chipmunk. She flipped the pot and there was my missing chicken, alive and well! She must have jumped up onto the rim and flipped it over onto herself. That explains a lot.

Attachments

• prodigal chicken.jpg
    prodigal chicken.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
Last Sunday, one of my 22 week old Light Brahma chickens disappeared off the face of the earth. I know we have daytime predators such as foxes and hawks. The strange thing was that none of the other chickens or Guinea Fowl were freaked out as they normally would be after an attack. I posted to the local community pages on facebook and I scoured, in vain, our property and the whole neighborhood. On Saturday, in the back yard, I was talking about it with my neighbor. We agreed I would eventually have to let my chickens roam around the yard again. His dog was sniffing around a large flower pot, presumably looking for a chipmunk. She flipped the pot and there was my missing chicken, alive and well! She must have jumped up onto the rim and flipped it over onto herself. That explains a lot.
Good news of finding the missing hen!

There are so many ways that chickens can get into trouble LOL

Back
Top Bottom