Ramp not being used

blumenfarmer

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
We just built a coop and added this ramp up to the roost, but nobody has tried using it yet. Any advise on what to change to make it more user friendly? Is it too steep? Too narrow? (Approx 8 inches wide) Cleats too small? Does it need to go all the way to the floor? Or, if it seems fine, any advise on getting them to start using it? I put mealworms on the steps but so far they’ve just eaten the
22004046-3BD3-4DC3-9748-2C8515D20128.jpeg
ones they can reach from the floor.

We just built a coop and added this ramp up to the roost, but nobody has tried using it yet. Any advise on what to change to make it more user friendly? Is it too steep? Too narrow? (Approx 8 inches wide) Cleats too small? Does it need to go all the way to the floor? Or, if it seems fine, any advise on getting them to start using it? I put mealworms on the steps but so far they’ve just eaten the View attachment 2653533ones they can reach from the floor.
They don't need a ramp. They can fly.
At night, put them up onto the perch when it's dark. After a week they'll do it on their own. I've proved it countless times.
Good luck.

They don't need a ramp. They can fly.
At night, put them up onto the perch when it's dark. After a week they'll do it on their own. I've proved it countless times.
Good luck.
Oh yeah? Thanks for that advice! We only have 6 feet in front of the roost till the wall, is that enough clearance for them to fly up/down?

The ramp is pretty tight to be he wall in addition to not going to the floor or a big cinder block. I would double the number of cleats and rest it on a block.

Are they roosting yet or still sleeping on the floor?

If they are pretty young yet they are likely to sleep on the floor. You may need to give them a boost after dark until they learn to roost.

I doubt they will use it to exit the roost. That would mean waiting in line until those in front got down. Not something they are inclined to politely do.

Looks too steep. Looks like a 45 degree angle, maybe? 30 degrees is more of what you need to aim for. To allow for them to get on, you'd need a flat platform at the bottom to fly up to, and then they can walk the rest of the way.

Realistically they could just fly up to roost, but landing is the issue. How much space is in front of the roost (that we can't see) for them to land? You want close to a 2:1 ratio of landing area to height.

Frankly I'd just lower the roost and ditch the ramp, but I'm not big on ramps. : )

Back
Top Bottom