Ran out if Feed PLEASE HELP!!!

mommiesrcool

Free Ranging
Jul 6, 2020
Dn
i just ran out of my chick starter feed today and i cant go to TSC until this Friday and i need to feed my chicks they are 7 weeks old can someone please let me know what to feed them for know. i have some rice that i can cook but i don't know if that helps

i do have layer feed pellets but i thought that i can feed them that because its for layers
It's ok to feed them layer feed for a little while, but I wouldn't recommend switching them permanently yet. Younger chickens and layers have different nutritional needs. Baby food has more protein and other vitamins to help the babies grow big and strong. Layer feed has more calcium to make up for the loss of calcium caused by making eggs. If you feed the youngsters laying feed constantly it can cause kidney and liver problems from the excess calcium.
If you can let them out in the yard to free range, and give them some layer pellets, they shouldn't starve to death before next week. :thumbsup

DO you have layer or flock pellets? I make mash put of that since I don't usually have enough chicks to justify buying a big bag of chick feed
I've never done this before, I normally have enough chicks to use up a whole bag or I put the whole flock on starter feed. Have you noticed any side effects like people normally say (early maturity, health issues when they get older, long term health issues as the chickens age, etc.)? Would this be something she could do with also making scrambled eggs?

Back
Top Bottom