Random large egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sustained, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

One of my hens laid this monster egg yesterday. The bottom egg is the size we generally get. They're about medium sized eggs. So I was a little shocked when my son brought me that big ol' thing. I used it to cook last nights dinner and it was a double yoker. I've never seen a double yolk egg with 2 fully sized yolks before. Usually they're just smaller to fit inside together. Anyone else have this happen? Is it common for double yoke eggs? I'm just curious and thought I would ask. Wish I had a roo so I could've tried hatching it!

2. HanwellChickens

HanwellChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    Are your hens fairly new layers? I usually get double yolkers when they first start out. I think it's very common when they first start out as their systems are getting regulated.

3. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    They've been laying for a couple months so yes fairly new. I knew double yokes were common for younger girls but that was the first time I saw a huge increase in egg size because of it.

4. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Same thing happened to me earlier this week. My EE who usually lays large eggs skipped a day laying (she lays every day), then gave me the below gigantic, double yolk the next day. It's pretty common for new layers.[​IMG]

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Agree with above - pretty common. We get a random extra large, double yolked, egg every couple of weeks from one of our girls or another.

6. Olive Oil

Olive Oil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    La Grange, CA
    Just saw this post and had to add mine! One of my young OE's gave me the largest chicken egg I've ever seen! What was inside? A regular yolk and white, and... another whole egg! She is a Birchen Marans x Easter Egger. No. This is not her usual egg! Anyone else seen this before?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. STP12986

STP12986 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014

Whoa!!! Did not know that was possible.

8. Olive Oil

Olive Oil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    La Grange, CA

Me neither!

9. Dwerker

Dwerker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Plymouth, England
    I thought my chicken was ill - she had removed herself from the others, was looking depressed, not eating or drinking with the others - then I found a huge egg in the coop and she is back to normal again. Has anyone else had this experience?

10. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    OMG that poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by