Random large egg

Sustained

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Oregon

One of my hens laid this monster egg yesterday. The bottom egg is the size we generally get. They're about medium sized eggs. So I was a little shocked when my son brought me that big ol' thing. I used it to cook last nights dinner and it was a double yoker. I've never seen a double yolk egg with 2 fully sized yolks before. Usually they're just smaller to fit inside together. Anyone else have this happen? Is it common for double yoke eggs? I'm just curious and thought I would ask. Wish I had a roo so I could've tried hatching it!

They've been laying for a couple months so yes fairly new. I knew double yokes were common for younger girls but that was the first time I saw a huge increase in egg size because of it.

One of my hens laid this monster egg yesterday. The bottom egg is the size we generally get. They're about medium sized eggs. So I was a little shocked when my son brought me that big ol' thing. I used it to cook last nights dinner and it was a double yoker. I've never seen a double yolk egg with 2 fully sized yolks before. Usually they're just smaller to fit inside together. Anyone else have this happen? Is it common for double yoke eggs? I'm just curious and thought I would ask. Wish I had a roo so I could've tried hatching it!
Same thing happened to me earlier this week. My EE who usually lays large eggs skipped a day laying (she lays every day), then gave me the below gigantic, double yolk the next day. It's pretty common for new layers.

Agree with above - pretty common. We get a random extra large, double yolked, egg every couple of weeks from one of our girls or another.

Just saw this post and had to add mine! One of my young OE's gave me the largest chicken egg I've ever seen! What was inside? A regular yolk and white, and... another whole egg! She is a Birchen Marans x Easter Egger. No. This is not her usual egg! Anyone else seen this before?

Just saw this post and had to add mine! One of my young OE's gave me the largest chicken egg I've ever seen! What was inside? A regular yolk and white, and... another whole egg! She is a Birchen Marans x Easter Egger. No. This is not her usual egg! Anyone else seen this before?

Whoa!!! Did not know that was possible.

Whoa!!! Did not know that was possible.
Me neither!

I thought my chicken was ill - she had removed herself from the others, was looking depressed, not eating or drinking with the others - then I found a huge egg in the coop and she is back to normal again. Has anyone else had this experience?

OMG that poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom