RANT: Tractor Supply won't sell less than six chicks!!!

Yes, hatcheries won't ship just a few chicks, it is for warmth. I have ordered from McMurray b4. But, the State of Maine just passed this stupid law, it just makes no sense!
he.gif

I didn't know it was a law, that is pretty odd. That might be why I can't find many hatcheries that will ship less than 6 chicks. I tought it was just a thing about shipping chicks, for warmth and what-not.
hmm.png

Same law applies in Virginia, too. Six chick minimum. From what I've read on BYC, it's not all that unusual. I read somewhere that the law was there to discourage the impulse purchase of chicks, especially those dyed ones at Easter.

Last year I purchased less than six via going to a breeder I found on Craigslist. Not sure if the law applies to private sales but this individual didn't have the restriction.

As far as I can tell there is no such law in Washington State. I could very well be wrong, however, so don't quote me. I have got all my chickens from the local feed store and have not had an issue with minimums. The only problem I've had is that they are not bred very true to variety
wink.png
I don't really care, they have a good home even if they aren't quite what they were supposed to be! Once I can get a roo I'll be raising mutts anyway. The bottom line is; vote with your money. If you don't like a place then move on, it is the most powerful tool you have! All of the reviews are good and valuable information, at any rate!

I just contacted a local here in FL with chicks, started pullets and cockerels for sale, found him through craigslist. He doesn't claim to be a breeder but says his chickens are pure bred. Not that I care about that, not like I'm looking to show them. I'm just glad he's only about a half-hour away, which for where I live is a short journey

Just left TS in Summerdale , Al. and we were going to buy 4 chicks and was told the same thing . We told them we never had to do that before and the woman said It's always been like that I've been here a year and we aren't a pet store so we have to sell a minimum of 6 chicks. My wife then told her we bought three last year and then the woman say no you didn't I was here last year. OMG ! My wife said so you're calling me a liar ? The woman said I didn't say that but we only sell 6. My wife so then you are saying we are lying. No I never said that. I then said I think we should just go and go to Racine"s to get our stuff from now on. The woman then said I think that would be best if you did. So the entire time we were leaving the woman was following us arguing with my wife who finally just lost it and told the woman you're a F.... idiot. Wow couldn't believe my wife said it but this time she was totally on spot. We went there to do our weekly animal feed purchase for our small farm and decided we had some older hens so we would just get a4 to replace some we had lost due to old age. Amazing, the people who use to work there were great, they would pick up our feed bags and load them for me because I am disabled and now we had to hunt someone to try to even get a chick. What is even worse is we weren't the only customers standing there were two other families waiting to buy. Guess what NO SALE after that. I have been in that store 2-3 times a week for various things from feed to clothing but no more. Sure wish they still had the other people working there it was always like going to a friends place then. Now it's nothing but lazy people who have no idea about anything they sale. I asked them questions and they have no clue about anything from what kind of chicks they have to what I should use to worm ducks as opposed to chickens. The people they use to have were farm people that knew. So goodbye TS.

we are not to happy with tractor supply!! 2 years ago they let me go ahead and get just 2 chicks. so this year i already have an existing flock and just needed to add 3 more and they said NO..and was pretty rude about it....I ask why and their answser was for the safety of the chicks they don't sell less than 6 at a time????...and they said they don't support backyard chickens...I was MAD!! how can you say that where they are selling coops...yeah...backyard coops!! that only hold 2-4 chicks..that doesn't make sense...how can you sell $300 ++ coops but can't get the chickens to go in them????? we wrote to the corporate office and well that didn't go well either...oh well...they have lost my business....southern states support backyard chickens....

Wow!
Its crazy to see and read all this.
Ive been with TSC for 6 years and part of management for 2.

I totally understand everyone's concerns and frustration. Its amazing how one TSC differs from another. Im just glad all our customers love our store and our employees that work there.
But unfortunately all TSC stores have the 6 chick min in every store... all 1400+ stores. But the duckies are a 2 min at least in my store.
And do apologize for every store due to them being blocked from hands reach. But so many chicks get killed every year due to small children and or because someone forgets which tank it was pulled from, it just get tossed back in any ole tank thuss mixed pullets vrs st run and customers getting wrong sex due to misplaced peeps. Plus the saftey of both birds and humans.

Wow!
Its crazy to see and read all this.
Ive been with TSC for 6 years and part of management for 2.

I totally understand everyone's concerns and frustration. Its amazing how one TSC differs from another. Im just glad all our customers love our store and our employees that work there.
But unfortunately all TSC stores have the 6 chick min in every store... all 1400+ stores. But the duckies are a 2 min at least in my store.
And do apologize for every store due to them being blocked from hands reach. But so many chicks get killed every year due to small children and or because someone forgets which tank it was pulled from, it just get tossed back in any ole tank thuss mixed pullets vrs st run and customers getting wrong sex due to misplaced peeps. Plus the saftey of both birds and humans.

Mindylee, we used to have a great TSC. Now almost all the employees could care less about the customers. It's a shame because I've spent a lot of money there.

Same law applies in Virginia, too. Six chick minimum. From what I've read on BYC, it's not all that unusual. I read somewhere that the law was there to discourage the impulse purchase of chicks, especially those dyed ones at Easter.

Last year I purchased less than six via going to a breeder I found on Craigslist. Not sure if the law applies to private sales but this individual didn't have the restriction.
They (or some Tractor Supplies) will actually sell you less than 6 - you just have to sign some paperwork saying you already have birds. Some of the stores don't want to bother with it though. (This is in VA- not sure about elsewhere)

I think the law does apply to private sales, but I'm sure it's not something they're trying to enforce. I won't sell anyone one or two chicks - but I doubt I'd say no to someone who wanted 4 or 5.

Last edited:
More often than not stores do not want the local or state government to come down on them for selling people 1-3 chicks without knowing how to care for them or treating them like gold fish (many people treat them as "disposable pets" if they die in a week or a year they don't care) also they figure if you don't want to deal with 6 then you wouldn't treat a lesser amount very well and if you did then you'd get tired of them and dump them either by the side of the road or at a shelter and if very many people did that then that brings crack downs of stupid ordinances and calls for the stores not being able to carry them or with stupid limits like 10 or 15 chicks.... I have seen it done with dog breeders, so it's easy to figure what may happen if you don't try to curb stupidity early.

Back
Top Bottom