RAOK made my day!!!

asher

Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire
14 Years
Jan 26, 2007
Mountains of NC
I went to Wal-Mart with the kids to get a few things that we needed. We were walking in the parking lots and a big delivery truck came up behind us so we scooched over. The guy hollered out the window, hey! hey! do you garden?

Ummm...yeah...
hu.gif

He said I have some cabbage plants that we give away randomly. Would you like them?

I, of course, said sure. He said I've got to warn you, they grow huge.

So he stops the truck, gets in the back and I'm thinking whee! We're going to get a couple of cabbage plants!

He brought me an entire flat.
ep.gif
I counted once we got home and there are 26!!! Then I read the thingy that goes in them...these things get 30-50lbs in 82 days! HOLY COW! hehe We don't have enough room for 26 of those babies so we'll share the love with a few people we know that have gardens.

Here is a link to what these babies are. Before I read about it, I told the kids they could plant/make the garden themselves (I'll help, of course, if they need it.)
http://www.bonnieplants.com/CabbageProgram/tabid/81/Default.aspx

I'm psyched!

I'm still not sure why he gave them to me. They seem to do these programs in the school. Sure, I have four children tagging along, but that's not quite school. hehe They have something on there that you can send pics in of the kids and they'll put them in a photo gallery if they grow a nice cabbage so now they are determined to do well! hehe

I had a bumper crop of cabbage last year. I did green and purple and had HUGE heads. I wish I had thought ahead and planted a few more. I want to try my hand at saukraut!

I wish someone would do that for me! That is the deal of the week!

I do make my own kraut!

Miss prissy it is so easy! I have an old crock, I lined it with those jumbo zip lock bag, encase of lead paint in the old crock. Then you shred the cabbage, and it is 5 lbs of cabbage to 3T. of canning salt. Layer the cabbage sprinkle the salt pound the cabbage into the crock to start the juices flowing! Do that till your 4 in from the top and then fill a food grade bag with a boiled and cooled salt brine, put some cheese cloth over the kraut, then a plate, then the brine filled bag. The bag makes an air tight lid/weight. It makes a lot less scum to remove! Let it set about 6 weeks and you have the best kraut ever! I got the instructions from gardenweb in the harvest forum!
Any questions just ask!
Brenda

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom