Rare Lavender Araucana?

Quote:
WOW - I thought it was something I could send some blood off for or something...hhhmmmm...I don't even have any white egg layers! lol...

You probably COULD, but it would be $$$ if not $$$$.

YIKES!! lol...

Quote:
Tufts aren't guaranteed in any araucana breeding, even if you are breeding tufted to tufted. That is because any living tufted bird is only hterozygous for the gene. If an embryo is homozygous for tufting, it dies before it hatches. Meaning tufted x tufted = 25% cleanfaced, 50% tufted, and 25% dead in shell. Breeding tufted x cleanfaced results in half cleanfaced and half tufted. So yes, purebred araucanas can be without tufts. Often breeders will used cleanfaced birds so there is no chick mortality.

OP, I would honestly cull him. Single combs would just be a pain in the butt to work out of your birds if you used him as a breeder. That must have been a throwback to when the lavenders (opringtons? Not sure what Hink JC used to create the lavender araucana) were first crossed with Araucanas.

While virtually all hom tufted birds die in shell, at least one survived to adulthood according to what I have read.

Quote:
Once single comb and blue eggshell genes are linked, they are inherited together just as in the usual pea comb and ble eggshell genes. 96-97% of the time. only 3-4% chance of crossover.

Back
Top Bottom