Rat Problem

Rats here too (South Carolina Low Country). I still struggle with it. We had snakes but that was getting ridiculous plus I kinda lose my temper when they're "all up in the chicken space" so I did kill most of the rat snakes (I know, I know: they're beneficial but as I said, I lost my temper...3 times). I set one free at the far end of the property.:D

Anyway, what I have learned about our rats is they will try anything once or twice. So we use the water/drowning method for a couple of days, then poison under the coop, then vigorous cussing :rantand swearing at them and on it goes. I hate those things. :he

Advice please?

My chicken run is invaded with rats. I shot one with my pellet gun ( and I'm almost 100% sure it died ) and trapped one with my old rat trap ( 100% dead, sorry no pics) There are a lot of rat holes and stuff where they are happily eating left over chicken food in my run EVERY NIGHT. The security like I have (which I originally put up to alert me when a raccoon came) comes on like....20 times per night! I'm looking for advice, not a fight on different traps that people use, etc. Your ideas are welcome, but please NO arguing!
We heard about a natural solution and it seemed to work. Put out some dry instant mashed potatoes, but outside the coop so the chickens don't get into it. The rat eats it, then when it drinks water, the potatoes expand in the stomach and it dies. Don't use poison as there is a huge problem with owls dying from eating poisoned rats. Also I don't leave any chicken food out at night. That was definitely attracting them. Good luck.

Advice please?

My chicken run is invaded with rats. I shot one with my pellet gun ( and I'm almost 100% sure it died ) and trapped one with my old rat trap ( 100% dead, sorry no pics) There are a lot of rat holes and stuff where they are happily eating left over chicken food in my run EVERY NIGHT. The security like I have (which I originally put up to alert me when a raccoon came) comes on like....20 times per night! I'm looking for advice, not a fight on different traps that people use, etc. Your ideas are welcome, but please NO arguing!
Rat traps use peanut butter. Best of luck!

I have 2 cats, which I adopted to keep the mouse population under control. They are useless..... They catch lizards, snakes, moles, frogs...everything BUT mice. All these go to the chickens because the cats don't eat them, they just play them to death.

They also don't do anything about rats. Mind you, my cats are indoor/outdoor kids and are probably too well fed to catch mice/rats for their own food.

For chicken food, I make fermented feed for my chickens and there is absolutely NO wasted feed. Nothing on the ground for other critters to find. This might be a good solution for you. Only feed what they can eat in 15 minutes. My kids free range so they get food from me in the morning and in the late afternoon just to make sure they get a good balanced diet.

We heard about a natural solution and it seemed to work. Put out some dry instant mashed potatoes, but outside the coop so the chickens don't get into it. The rat eats it, then when it drinks water, the potatoes expand in the stomach and it dies. Don't use poison as there is a huge problem with owls dying from eating poisoned rats. Also I don't leave any chicken food out at night. That was definitely attracting them. Good luck.
That is actually a good idea to use instead of poison. You probably want to put it in a bait box though, so nothing else eats it. @cluckmecoop7, if it does come down to using poison, then use this!

This is the best article ever, for getting rid of rodents! I highly suggest not to use poison, by reasons listed in this article, please read it! https://backyardchickenproject.com/how-to-get-rid-of-rats-in-the-chicken-coop-the-definitive-guide/
Very interesting article. I free range my girls all the time. I would like to try the plaster of paris treat for the rats but wouldn't it have the same effect on the chickens? How would I be able to stop my girls eating any the rats missed?

Very interesting article. I free range my girls all the time. I would like to try the plaster of paris treat for the rats but wouldn't it have the same effect on the chickens? How would I be able to stop my girls eating any the rats missed?
You would need to get a unit box to be sure that the other animals, including wildlife wouldn't eat it as well. Do everything the article states before opting to plaster of paris, or any kind of "poison" like method. It is much better to use those ideas, before anything that could possibly harm other animals.

This is the best article ever, for getting rid of rodents! I highly suggest not to use poison, by reasons listed in this article, please read it! https://backyardchickenproject.com/how-to-get-rid-of-rats-in-the-chicken-coop-the-definitive-guide/
Read it it was good I did that and no more rats but they still like to love around the coop for some reason. One year in the spring I was cleaning out the coop and I saw they made tunnels under the poop 💩. Nasty 🤮 little things. Another year I went to close the door late one night and I saw them jumping from the chicken rack to the food bin. I have a chicken rack so the birds sleep on it at night. They like to sleep high on it. And the smart mice 🐁 jumped from the rack to the food bin that I have hanging so they don’t get to it. Would you believe it. La fet joly... lol 😂

Back
Top Bottom